Growing Old - Your Feelings?

Life passing you by, you are not the spring chicken you once were. Your once youthful spring is more of an ache ridden shuffle. You are losing things at an alarming rate, be it teeth, hair or marbles. Welcome to getting old!

Seriously, what do you feel about getting old?

I fear it. I look at my dad and see how he is with the unwavering support of my mum and the rest of the family as he negotiates care from social services and the Nhs. He's also got a bob or two so he's not completely at their mercy. By the time I'm his age pensions will be negligible and care system would have buckled completely. Ill have no other family so I'm well and truly snookered. Excessive ear hair really takes a back seat compared to how it really is.

You appear to be very philosophical today Agent. Do I detect a touch of the January blues?

I am always philosophical, people often mistaken it for light hearted banter when I create my threads :suspect::)

Seriously, I never used to be bothered about old age, but time seems to be accelerating and I am more conscious of my own mortality :)

Most of the time it dosent bother me.Just sometimes when you pass a mirror and think omg when did i get old???? or at times the aches and pains and creaks when you kneel down.I try not to think anout impending old age as its so depressing given the job I do,make the most of every day.

I'm extremely frightened of getting old. For me though, it's the appearance part that scares me. I've just turned 27 and life seems to have started accelerating. I don't want wrinkles and grey hair. You start realising how you have taken your youth for granted and wondering how it could have gone so quickly. I would like to be relaxed about getting old but I'm not and I know as the years go by it will only get worse. Is there anything to look forward to about it?

Seriously, I never used to be bothered about old age, but time seems to be accelerating and I am more conscious of my own mortality :)

Can I ask how old you are?

I am 51 and its not the day to day things that I think of, it’s the longer term things.

Last year I became a Grandad and I think when she is 20 I will be 71 :o, what will it be like in 2031?

On the news there is talk of a high speed rail link From London to Leeds and I think even if they started it straight away I wouldn’t see it completed.

Having lost my 82 yo Mum last year it has brought age to the front of my attention lately, I have arthritis and having seen how Mum ended up with it does little for my optimism of the future, also not helped by the fact that I am aware of being now the oldest person in my family :(

But I am trying to drag myself out of my rut and this way of thinking, I am not old and life is to be lived, this year I plan to start living in a much better and different way and have made a start on making that happen :)

I am always philosophical, people often mistaken it for light hearted banter when I create my threads :suspect::)

Tell me about it, now I have heart problems etc, im starting to get a bit worried.

Archived