Nothing is good for us

asprins are no longer good for us to take 1 a day but a few years ago they said it was better to take 1 asprin a day i wish they would make there minds up

every week its different stuff... not allowed to eat. then they say its healthy

when i was growing up we were a lot healthier and things like that never bothered parents (and thats with eating dirt and playing in house manure :D)

Who is this 'they' of which you speak?

jb

The daily bombardment of revelations from the media on what is good for us and isn't is getting truly ridiculous.

Just one small example. Back in the day people were told that eggs were good for them 'go to work on an egg' they said. Then, no, no, no, eggs are BAD BAD for you with all that cholesterol. Not to mention Salmonella!! The horror!! Now I believe eggs are good for you again. Apparently the raised cholesterol in the egg eaters was due to them eating other foods with high cholesterol. Doh, of course:loopy:

Personally the whole stress of the health police telling you to do this, don't do that, this is good for you, no it isn't any more is worse for the nations health than anything else!!!

Lead researcher Dr Rao Seshasai, from St George’s, University of London

I was speaking in a more general sense, 'they' are often portrayed as one big amorphous blob that is constantly contradicting itself when in fact the reality is that 'they' is composed of thousands of independent scientists spread all around the world. Often the 'they' that is quoted in the media is taken out of context or distorted in order to sensationalise a studies result.

A good place to look into what's behind a new health scare headline is here.

A prime example of this is an headline from the Daily Express...

“Salt is good for us after all,” according to the Daily Express. The newspaper said that a “controversial new study suggests that salt in the diet can lessen our chances of suffering heart disease and strokes”.

...The Daily Express headline, “Salt is good for us after all” is misleading. The study suggests that cutting back on salt may, in the short-term, increase the presence of potentially harmful chemicals in the blood and questions whether doing so has any net benefit for white people with normal blood pressure. However, the study does not suggest that eating lots of salt is good for our health.

jb

"They" say it's the aspirin that people take "just in case" that's bad for you and that it should only be taken by people that have already had heart problems though, don't they? and then it's the prescribed 75m dispersable ones.

Archived