Gah! Stag do woes!

So I'm organising a stag do for around May. I intend it to be a surprise, so I'll keep this quite vague.

I've been trying to decide what to do and where to go but the stag is being a right old pain and keeps giving me different requirements.

First it was a quite few days away to kick back and relax before he embarks on his road to ruin. Then he wanted one wild night somewhere far, far away. Then he decides that he wants everyone he's ever known there. The next day it's "Just five or six close mates"; he is doing my nut! :roll:

I have read the entire internet twice, including all the Essex wide-boy sites (Primarily involve dressing the stag as Batman and/or handcuffing him to a midget dressed as a Smurf and then abandoning him in Prague - i kid you not ladies and gents) all the way through the hallowed archives of SF (none of the threads quite ask the question I need answering, otherwise *of course* I would have resurrected a zombie thread) which mainly suggest that Amsterdam and Dublin have been done to death and we should go to Edinburgh, right through to the executive plan-a-themed-retreat-for-those-undergoing-a-midlife-crisis-marriage-by-renting-a-cottage-in-the-cotswolds-and-inviting-strippers.

I'm at a bit of a loss. :huh:

The only thing I know for certain is that the maximum number of people he can name when you ask him are 11 (including him and me), that we have between one and three nights (the fewer the number of nights, the more people are likely to be able to make it) and that the budget ranges from zero (he has some friends who haven't been doing well) to anything within reason (there are a couple of guys who will spend whatever the amount is because it's a stag do and they're a bit like that). Abroad would be fine but not everyone has a current passport.

Simple, right? :rant:

Should I just be looking at two parties?

I think the only thing we can agree on is that we shouldn't be in Sheffield for the do (the ladies will be doing something over the few days in question - god forbid we run into them :D).

I'm pretty happy I can organise something myself, I just need a bit of inspiration.

I had planned a couple of alternatives - one is the night of bar crawling debauchery in the city-of-our-choice (it could be Rotterdam or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome - not Leeds though) followed or preceded by the standard paintball/airsoft/quad bikes, which is a relatively easy thing to do, transport notwithstanding. It can take place over two days and one night and is fairly flexible, however costs can vary (beer is dear). I had also considered something like a narrowboat 3-night break or something. It's something where everyone can spend time chilling out, take turns steering, doing the locks (which is all about teamwork or something) and plenty of opportunity to stop over in a town or near a pub. Costs are fixed (maybe a ton each plus transport plus food and beer) but less people can go (well, you can get 11-man narrowboats but I suspect they're quite... intimate).

This post is in danger of getting a bit tl;dr but if anyone has any inspiration for variable size groups, or events over several days then I'd love to hear them.

Chris out.

I assume since you've read the entire internet twice, you'll have stumbled across this. There are loads of ideas.

I would have been good to go abroad but if some people in the party don't have passports, unless they all willing to get one, it's not much you can about that.

I like the midget in Prague idea.

rent an apartment in Glasgow (forget Edinburgh :P ), so you can start the night on cheap beer

There's stacks to do up there - but some preferences of his hobbies/age etc would be useful

cheap train or megabus tickets should be available for the journey if you book in advance (or car share)

Ask if some people would be willing to pay a little more to ensure everybody the groom wants there can afford to go

I've been on a couple of the "build a package" type websites and put in some different sorts of ideas, so I suspect I'll get a call back about them later this week. In fairness I hadn't been on the chillisauce site.

I was after a bit of inspiration really. I'm fairly happy that I can organise a weekend out in a city without too much difficulty, I just want to see if I can do something a bit different and fit in with most of the crazy contradictory requirements.

I appreciate your help though. Have you had any experience booking with these sorts of package brokers?

There's stacks to do up there - but some preferences of his hobbies/age etc would be useful

I think most of the group are just the wrong side of thirty. He's a bit of an action man, so wouldn't be fazed by a physical activity. We've done paintball and airsoft and karting and laser tag and all those sorts of things and we enjoy them - I imagine even more so as a large group. Other than that, pub and curry. We used to go clubbing, but I think we're getting a bit old for it!

I also quite like the idea of a midget, but I think he'd get royally fed up of it long before I stopped finding it funny. That wouldn't end well. :D

I've been on a couple of the "build a package" type websites and put in some different sorts of ideas, so I suspect I'll get a call back about them later this week. In fairness I hadn't been on the chillisauce site.

I was after a bit of inspiration really. I'm fairly happy that I can organise a weekend out in a city without too much difficulty, I just want to see if I can do something a bit different and fit in with most of the crazy contradictory requirements.

I appreciate your help though. Have you had any experience booking with these sorts of package brokers?

Noo no, wish I had though. Your stag do sounds like it's going to be pretty mental. You'll have to let us know what you decide on. There are places online where you can hire a midgit just to go nightclubbing with you though in all seriousness.

Noo no, wish I had though. Your stag do sounds like it's going to be pretty mental. You'll have to let us know what you decide on. There are places online where you can hire a midgit just to go nightclubbing with you though in all seriousness.

Hmm, a less-permanent midget...

Interesting, Mr. O'Saurus, interesting.

I think most of the group are just the wrong side of thirty. He's a bit of an action man, so wouldn't be fazed by a physical activity. We've done paintball and airsoft and karting and laser tag and all those sorts of things and we enjoy them - I imagine even more so as a large group. Other than that, pub and curry. We used to go clubbing, but I think we're getting a bit old for it!

I also quite like the idea of a midget, but I think he'd get royally fed up of it long before I stopped finding it funny. That wouldn't end well. :D

We did clay pigeon shooting, quad biking, archery and air rifle shooting in Dunkeld (which has an east coast mainline station, so you can travel direct from doncaster)

How about rolling down a hill in a bubble? :D

I have just done one (September) for the guy who was my best man and I did it so everyone could come along,

It was a supprise kidnapping (he didn't get told the day, date or time) I made an excuse to go round to his, got his missus to be to send us down to the shops for some milk. Around the corner from his house was about 20 of his mates with gaffer tape and a black kidnapping hood.

We made sure just before the hood went on that he saw it was us and didn't poo himself.

We went hovercrafting, buggies and Quads, with a company called demon wheelers, then went Drinking, bowling where he had to play on all 3 or 4 lanes, Drinking, Indian, Drinking, Kareoke, drinking, Drinking and clubbing, drinking.

it was all a good giggle and not massively expensive as this normally reduces the field quite a lot.

We did it so a few of the oldies could come bowling and a few drinks.

Oh and he was dressed in the tightest superhero suit ever with a pink tu tu.

my mate is getting towards the 30 mark and we found many friends now have kids or and wifes that didn't look favourabley on going off abroad.

Anyway best of luck, Also one last thing, Why are you discussing this with him ................ this should be your final gift to him.

don't let him know, throw him some curve balls and ask what size flippers etc does he need......measure his should width(when he asks why just say making sure you will fit in the chair Etc etc. this will drive him nuts.

UNLESS your not married and he is going to have the opertunity to repay anything you do to him 10 fold.

• 2 months later...

Archived