Cuts in benefits - lots of people will be in big trouble

Then the children suffer serious financial hardship, due to their parents actions.

You may be happy with that, but not many others will.

I have no objection to people suffering the consequences of their own selfish actions; but children do not choose who their parents will be. Why should they be left to starve because of things which are not their own fault?

You may be happy with that, but not many others will.

I have no objection to people suffering the consequences of their own selfish actions; but children do not choose who their parents will be. Why should they be left to starve because of things which are not their own fault?

OK just for a discussion point..take the kids into care and punish the parents with jai,l after all they'll be guilty of cruelty and neglect...may cost to start off with but might just persuade some of the feckless to take responsibility..as I said ,just a discussion point.. :)

The idea of a cut of point, say at april 2012 is a good idea. But I'd extend this to 2013. The problem we have in this country is that the next government, if Labour win, will probably have a different idea. There's very little consistency and ideas like these take a considerable time to fine tune.

I don't know the link between benefit claimants and child neglect by the parents, but what ever I think of the present Government I don't want to impute that they want to see children of those on benefits starve.

As I understand it the new benefit or universal credit will merge all existing benefits (except disability) into one. It also proposes that people who want to work won't be penalised as heavily by the benefit system as they are at present.

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm79/7957/7957.pdf

With regards to parents of children who are neglectful of their children, or parents who cannot cope then I'm not aware of any changes to support systems in social services.

My answer is.

The family will suffer serious financial hardship.

Very similar to if a working man decided to have lots of children. After 3 children, many working people have to stop because they cannot afford a home with more bedrooms

Although as pointed out the threshold for reducing benefits when moving into work will be improved from the present position.

Archived