Cuts in benefits - lots of people will be in big trouble

I don't know the link between benefit claimants and child neglect by the parents, but what ever I think of the present Government I don't want to impute that they want to see children of those on benefits starve.

As I understand it the new benefit or universal credit will merge all existing benefits (except disability) into one. It also proposes that people who want to work won't be penalised as heavily by the benefit system as they are at present.

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm79/7957/7957.pdf

With regards to parents of children who are neglectful of their children, or parents who cannot cope then I'm not aware of any changes to support systems in social services.

Won't it cost just as much or more if the children are taken into care?

People say "this will create unfair poverty"

Is the taxman, or the people at the council tax dept, are they so lenient towards people on very low incomes who cannot pay there taxes?

Why should someone who is on a low wage, drowning with the cost of living be forced to pay for people who produce lots of kids?

As I said before, let what has happened in the past go, fund all the current crop of large familys, but there comes a point where a line in the sand has to be drawn

As I said before, let what has happened in the past go, fund all the current crop of large familys, but there comes a point where a line in the sand has to be drawn

The first problem is the moral one; when people continue to be irresponsible despite the new rules, and end up with more children than they can afford to provide for, then refusing to give extra benefits means condemning those children to starve to death - and the children are not the irresponsible ones. You'd be punishing those who are not at fault.

The second problem is the financial one; if you take those children out of the irresponsible family, and place them somewhere else, it would end up costing more than if you'd just carried on paying the benefits in the first place and not bothered introducing new rules.

The first problem is the moral one; when people continue to be irresponsible despite the new rules, and end up with more children than they can afford to provide for, then refusing to give extra benefits means condemning those children to starve to death - and the children are not the irresponsible ones. You'd be punishing those who are not at fault.

So if I have an extra 5 kids, can I expect an employer to give me a hefty pay rise, so I can buy a bigger house?

If we go down this road, you would have shelf stackers in supermarkets on salarys of £80,000 a year because they have 11 kids to feed and clothe.

If the rules apply to non working people, then would we be able to apply the rules to people in work? who would pay the additional wages?

People say "this will create unfair poverty"

Is the taxman, or the people at the council tax dept, are they so lenient towards people on very low incomes who cannot pay there taxes?

Why should someone who is on a low wage, drowning with the cost of living be forced to pay for people who produce lots of kids?

The only trouble with that is, under the current human rights act you'd be treating families in similar circamstances differently. You can't acknowledge one family as requiring such high benefits and new claiments not.

Archived