Cuts in benefits - lots of people will be in big trouble

People need wake up, benefit cuts will affect working people who get working tax credit, housing benefit etc and not just the workshy.

Labour intended working tax credits to encourage the workforce to have more kids hoping that these would be the next tax payers to cover the increasing elderly population.

The dilema we now have is that we've added the cost of extra children to the cost of extra pensioners in the short term. Ecconomists are forcasting that the resession could last 10 years or more. Creating the problem of a small workforce having to pay the tax bill for children and pensioners.

So if I have an extra 5 kids, can I expect an employer to give me a hefty pay rise, so I can buy a bigger house?

If we go down this road, you would have shelf stackers in supermarkets on salarys of £80,000 a year because they have 11 kids to feed and clothe.

If the rules apply to non working people, then would we be able to apply the rules to people in work? who would pay the additional wages?

I think you're missing the point. People would stop having large families if they couldn't afford them, so you wouldn't have 5 extra kids in the first place.

I think you're missing the point. People would stop having large families if they couldn't afford them, so you wouldn't have 5 extra kids in the first place.

Thats the point I'm making, people in work have to stop at 1 or 2 or even 3 children because they cannot afford any more.

However, these rules seem not to apply to the feckless.

Whatever you might say, to get £10,000 a year without lifting a finger to do any work is still very generous, and quite frankly anyone who says that £10,000 a year for not working needs a reality check.

If you were on £6.08 an hour you would need to be working a full time week to get an after tax income of £192 a week. Ironically, many people in work cannot afford there own pad and yet are expected to fund mini football teams out of their meagre wages

People need wake up, benefit cuts will affect working people who get working tax credit, housing benefit etc and not just the workshy.

JSA = £4billion

Housing benefit = £25billion

Tax credits = £30 billion.

Workers and workshy houses claim more than the unemployed.

Housing benefit is landlord benefit, cheaper housing is of benefit to us all, except parasitic landlords.

Won't it cost just as much or more if the children are taken into care?

Yes children in care is extremely costly. However I don't think that the proposed changes in benefits will lead to either parental neglect or big rises in children having to go into care.

Cost shouldn't be the determining factor in consideration of whether children should be placed into care. For a variety of circumstances there are children that will be taken into care, and not all of them will be from families who are reliant on state benefits of some kind.

Labour intended working tax credits to encourage the workforce to have more kids hoping that these would be the next tax payers to cover the increasing elderly population.

The dilema we now have is that we've added the cost of extra children to the cost of extra pensioners in the short term. Ecconomists are forcasting that the resession could last 10 years or more. Creating the problem of a small workforce having to pay the tax bill for children and pensioners.

No I think the reason it was introduced was to lift children out of poverty, and in spite of flaws in the system it has been reasonably successful as far as I've read.

Many poorer working people particularly those with children have been helped where previously they just couldn't afford to work.

No I think the reason it was introduced was to lift children out of poverty, and in spite of flaws in the system it has been reasonably successful as far as I've read.

There were no children in poverty before it was introduced - unless you're referring to "relative poverty," which is an oxymoron.

Thats the point I'm making, people in work have to stop at 1 or 2 or even 3 children because they cannot afford any more.

However, these rules seem not to apply to the feckless.

Whatever you might say, to get £10,000 a year without lifting a finger to do any work is still very generous, and quite frankly anyone who says that £10,000 a year for not working needs a reality check.

If you were on £6.08 an hour you would need to be working a full time week to get an after tax income of £192 a week. Ironically, many people in work cannot afford there own pad and yet are expected to fund mini football teams out of their meagre wages

Sorry, I misread it.

Archived