Death Notice Rip Off - the cost of putting them in the local paper.

I have just had the unpleasant duty of having to place an announcement in the deaths column of the sheffield star newspaper. upon placing the notice i was asked what colour rose i wanted at the top of the notice and when i said that i did not want a rose i was told very bluntly and in no uncertain terms that you have got to have one so i said again that i did not want a rose but was told again that i must have one as it is compulsory at an extra cost of £20. As it is a very sensitive and personal issue i reluctantly had to accept their rules or i would not be allowed to place the bereavement notice ,My feelings are that people are being bullied in to accepting this money grabbing rip off by pulling on their heart strings when people don't realy have any alternative when wishing to place a bereavement notice .The star newspaper should be ashamed of themselves.:(

It used to be the case that the Star wouldn't accept bereavement notices until the main death notice by the funeral director had been booked in, the everyone else could add their notice. Do they not do lineage anymore?

I work on the BMD section of the Star, it's no use shouting at us. We don't make the policy. We don't agree with it at all but like I say, we can't do anything about it. I can't believe that whoever you spoke to on the section was blunt or off hand with you. We have all lost family and friends and try our hardest to be sympathetic to the peole we speak too. Perhaps if enough people compained to the managers, they might do something about having to have a rose, cross or whatever at the top of the death notices.

I have just had the unpleasant duty of having to place an announcement in the deaths column of the sheffield star newspaper. upon placing the notice i was asked what colour rose i wanted at the top of the notice and when i said that i did not want a rose i was told very bluntly and in no uncertain terms that you have got to have one so i said again that i did not want a rose but was told again that i must have one as it is compulsory at an extra cost of £20. As it is a very sensitive and personal issue i reluctantly had to accept their rules or i would not be allowed to place the bereavement notice ,My feelings are that people are being bullied in to accepting this money grabbing rip off by pulling on their heart strings when people don't realy have any alternative when wishing to place a bereavement notice .The star newspaper should be ashamed of themselves.:(

When my Mother died 4 years ago we never had a rose above our announcement of her death, neither were we asked if we wanted one. The funeral home sorted it all out for us so don't let them rip you off. Why is it compulsory to have one? It's a load of rubbish! It doesn't make a notice look any better and it's expensive enough, it just glams it up for their benefit. What a waste of money! The paper only goes in the recyclying bin after when people have looked through it, except for those of us who cut out the announcement and keep it as i have of my Mothers, and i'm sure people just want to look at the words and not a rose. My deepest sympathy to you.

It used to be the case that the Star wouldn't accept bereavement notices until the main death notice by the funeral director had been booked in, the everyone else could add their notice. Do they not do lineage anymore?

It is still the policy that no notice can appear in the Star until the main notice has appeared and yes we still no lineage notices

It is still the policy that no notice can appear in the Star until the main notice has appeared and yes we still no lineage notices

So how would you insert a rose graphic within a lineage ad? Was it the OP intention to put in a single col semi display ad? Surely the lineage option should have been explained to the OP?