Death Notice Rip Off - the cost of putting them in the local paper.

I am sorry for your loss. I don't understand your anger at The Star, though - if you mother-in-law wishes to place an advert, it is surely her right to do so, and the rate she is being charged is not excessive compared to other advertising.

Are you advocating special rates for the bereaved? If so, for how many years after the death should these rates apply?

The Star as the mouthpiece for Sheffield should repay its loyal readers in their hour of need.

Most people who insert bereavements have been customers for up to 50 years or more.

They make plenty of money from normal advertising.

Add this to the ridiculous price of the paper that some times has only a couple of pages of actual local news .

The paper has now become just another morning rag that is more than double the price of some of its competitors.

The Star as the mouthpiece for Sheffield should repay its loyal readers in their hour of need.

Most people who insert bereavements have been customers for up to 50 years or more.

Add this to the ridiculous price of the paper that some times has only a couple of pages of actual local news .

The paper has now become just another morning rag that is more than double the price of some of its competitors.

Well said cuttsie

The quality of The Star as a paper is an entirely separate issue.

I am trying to understand why people feel so very aggrieved at the fact that an advert is charged at the going rate.

Placing an advert is a business transaction; it's not as The Star approached bereaved families, asked them about the deceased and then hit them with a surprise bill at the end of what they thought was an interview.

Nobody has to take out an advert, just like nobody has to have the most expensive coffin, the largest flower arranegments or the biggest amount of grave "ornaments". It's a matter of personal choice, and if you choose to pay out for these things, surely you must accept the price they cost.

i think 66 quid for a few words is unbelievable and any1 willing to pay it is out of there mind in the 1st place

Yeah out of their mind with grief which is why The Star moves in for the kill... you dictate your message and only get the total at the end.. you would seem a heartless so and so and disloyal to your loved one if you quibbled the price, which is what these vultures prey on.

It is a ridiculous and extortionate amount but in line with local papers in other areas of the country. My Dad and I gritted our teeth and paid up when Mum died. At the end of the day it's your choice whether to do it or not - The Star aren't coming around to your house with a baseball bat. The only use I see for publishing a death notice in a newspaper now is so old work colleagues or people who've lost touch with the person who has died can come and pay their last respects to them. As for In Memoriam, *maybe* a small notice for the first year after your loved one has gone, then find a better way of spending that money and remembering them.