Death Notice Rip Off - the cost of putting them in the local paper.

They had an offer recently for a birthday greeting/birth notice for £10 for quite a big size advert including picture. How can happy events be cheaper than sad occasions? Doesn't make sense to me.

Probably because most people feel they need to place a notice in 'Deaths'. It is part of what most families do when a loved one dies so the newspapers know they will get that trade. Not many people put birthday greetings in the paper.

Although I understand why different people put 'In Memoriam' notices in the paper, I've never quite grasped why some deaths have several notices at the same time. As those notices are really to inform people that someone has died, and give details of the funeral, more than one is unnecessary. Also, the costs must be huge.

The quality of The Star as a paper is an entirely separate issue.

I am trying to understand why people feel so very aggrieved at the fact that an advert is charged at the going rate.

Placing an advert is a business transaction; it's not as The Star approached bereaved families, asked them about the deceased and then hit them with a surprise bill at the end of what they thought was an interview.

Nobody has to take out an advert, just like nobody has to have the most expensive coffin, the largest flower arranegments or the biggest amount of grave "ornaments". It's a matter of personal choice, and if you choose to pay out for these things, surely you must accept the price they cost.

You are completely missing the point Womerry or maybe being offensive just for the sake of it.

As Cuttsie said, most of the people using such family notices have been loyal customers over many years and The Star being the only medium they can use to reach people that have long ago lost contact with. People of my mother in law's generation don't use emails or texts or social networking and it is common courtesy to inform friends and acquaintances of the impending funeral. Yes it is a personal choice to place a notice, however when The Star is actively promoting "box" adverts with a picture for £10 to celebrate a happy event, how can they justify the extortionate amounts for the bereaved. Maybe they are just as cynical as you and think that now the person is dead, they can no longer provide any more "business" for The Star so they give them a final sting!

Referring to Womerry2's quote 'Placing an advert is a business transaction; it's not as The Star approached bereaved families, asked them about the deceased and then hit them with a surprise bill at the end of what they thought was an interview."

Does this go to prove that there are two types of people

Ones who think love makes the world go round and ones who think its money?

Surely business steps aside when dealing with the sadness and grief of losing a human being ???

Sadly, it does not. The Bereaved are a profitable group, and the only way to stand up to this is to remember that you do NOT have to buy everything on offer, whether it's the expensive advert or the graveside tat.

I was aghast when we were issued with an elaborate laminated cards for a final message to the deceased at the graveside, for example - any piece of paper or card would have served the same purpose.

The quality of The Star as a paper is an entirely separate issue.

I am trying to understand why people feel so very aggrieved at the fact that an advert is charged at the going rate.

Placing an advert is a business transaction; it's not as The Star approached bereaved families, asked them about the deceased and then hit them with a surprise bill at the end of what they thought was an interview.

Nobody has to take out an advert, just like nobody has to have the most expensive coffin, the largest flower arranegments or the biggest amount of grave "ornaments". It's a matter of personal choice, and if you choose to pay out for these things, surely you must accept the price they cost.

The Star is a Sheffield institution that should repay its readers in their hour of need.

If you have been taking the Star for fifty or sixty years as lots of Sheffielders have you would realise that at one time it was the only way to let others know of a death in the family.

This was before Emails, Forums, Phones,or any other means of communication that todays younger citizens take for granted.

So to a certain section of our community it is the thing to do.

And a must do!

I am sorry to have given that impression; it has certainly not been my intention to upset anyone. Please accept my apologies.

Apology accepted and yes you are right that sadly the bereaved are a profitable group :(

I am sorry to have given that impression; it has certainly not been my intention to upset anyone. Please accept my apologies.

You certainly didn't offend me. What you said was just commonsense and sounds like it is based on experience like my message was. For some reason because it's connected with bereaved people some seem to have seen it as offensive. And it's true, some people do seem to feel they have to have massive poems in the paper, terribly tasteless (in my opinion) floral tributes etc. and then complain that they cost a lot of money and they shouldn't because it's a sad time for people. Seems like a very naive viewpoint.

Edited by irenewilde

Sadly, it does not. The Bereaved are a profitable group, and the only way to stand up to this is to remember that you do NOT have to buy everything on offer, whether it's the expensive advert or the graveside tat.

I was aghast when we were issued with an elaborate laminated cards for a final message to the deceased at the graveside, for example - any piece of paper or card would have served the same purpose.

I've left orders, that, "No! No matter how much the funeral director may say to my loved ones, that I would have wanted the most elaborate (And naturally the dearest) coffin, etc, I DON'T want that. A cardboard box would suffice for my wishes." End of!