Death Notice Rip Off - the cost of putting them in the local paper.

You haven't been called either yet, but every time you post it becomes more likely.

I have been called both. One person said the Star employs idiots, as I work for Sheffield Newspaper, that must include me and another one said the git on BMDs, as I said that could quite easily have been me.

Trouble is the Star seems to employ idiots

I'm sure there are idiots in every job in every company and to generalise that the Star employs idiots is totally wrong.

In fairness, one of them (whitely) has posted multiple times on this thread stating very clearly that he/she and several collegues all oppose the stars policy on this and have repeatedly complained to the managers.

I think that deserves some credit, and, I wish some poeple one these threads would take the time to read them before posting knee-jerk insults.

I have been called both. One person said the Star employs idiots, as I work for Sheffield Newspaper, that must include me and another one said the git on BMDs, as I said that could quite easily have been me.

Might be worth, as others have suggested, pointing your managers to this thread?

As long as you're sure it won't bring down trouble from them.

That was me (Post 42) and if the OP is an accurate account of the telephone conversation then I stand by what I said.

That was me (Post 42) and if the OP is an accurate account of the telephone conversation then I stand by what I said.

All I can do is apologise if the OP thinks he was spoken to in an inappropriate manner. As I said before, we do try to be as sympathetic as we can as we have all been in the situation of placing a death notice for family members. As for the management, I have kept them up to date with all these posts and to be honest it seems like water off a ducks back to them. Wish we could do something to change this policy but the don't take any notice of us.

I think it may well be a good idea for WHITLEY to point out this discussion to his superiors. For you never know, if the Sheffield Star knew they were getting blasted on SF, they may well give a courtesy call back to the OP.

If Whiteley`s superiors are anything like where I work,then they will most likely take a dim view of WHITELEY coming on here,the excuse being "confidentiality"......even though its public notice.

Beware the signs in store...of 1984.

The Star is a crappy rag of a arse wipe newspaper at the best of times.

I still recall their anti prostitution drive while running ads for tarts.

Unlike the said professional ladies, the crappy Star screws the dead.

On a lighter note, Did anyone notice the unintended pun in the thread title?

Death notice R.I.P. off.

Sorry to be insensitive, but I had to chuckle at that one.

I'm told that it is not true, which in turn means the OP wasn't telling the truth either when he said he was having to place a notice. It was a choice he made, being fully aware of the costs involved.

In answer to the above post i would like to point out that when i posted this thread and put [having to place a notice] it was said in the context of being my duty to place the notice and not one of being forced to do so by law ,but in answer to the second part of your quote i was not aware at all by previous dealings with the star newspaper that it is now compulsory to have a motif above your own private notice at the additional cost of £20 of which i really had no choice but to pay as my family and many others that i know off have traditionally used the newspaper to announce their bereavement,,and just to clear up another point that someone brought up , i would like to point out that on all previous occassions when i have placed notices in the star newspaper the staff have allways been very helpfull but the person on this occasion was female and very blunt and adamant that you must have the rose or you can,t have the add.

I presume that since when searching for a friend's notice to pay my respects online, the results came up for local papers up and down the country, the 'announcements' website is a central one or are all these papers run by the same people? Just wondered why I was getting results for, say, the Sunderland Echo when I was looking for someone in The Star.

I presume that since when searching for a friend's notice to pay my respects online, the results came up for local papers up and down the country, the 'announcements' website is a central one or are all these papers run by the same people? Just wondered why I was getting results for, say, the Sunderland Echo when I was looking for someone in The Star.

Did you go onto the Star website? You need to go to family notices and that should take you to iannounce, you should be able to put your friends name in and approx date you think notice went in and hopefully you should be able to find. it. Only trying to help so don't have a go at me if it doesn't work