Kell Brook to face Matthew Hatton "War of the Roses"

Kell Brook to face Matthew Hatton on March 17

British duo to clash in “War of the Roses” at Motorpoint Arena Sheffield

Kell Brook and Matthew Hatton will meet in the “War of the Roses” at the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield on March 17 – live on Sky Sports.

The top two ranked Welterweights in Britain will clash in a classic Yorkshire versus Lancashire derby to lay to rest any debate on who is the best Welterweight in the land.

The bigger picture for the fight though is the chance to fight for a World title later in 2012, and Brook, who is ranked in the top ten of all the governing bodies, is delighted to be facing Hatton in this hometown blockbuster.

“This is a fight I’ve wanted for a long time and to get it at the Sheffield Arena means the world to me,” said Brook, 25. “When I first sat down with Eddie, he told me that his vision was a sell-out night at Sheffield Arena and now we’re here. It is a competitive division and we’re both trying to achieve the same goal, so I know that by putting him out of the equation, it gives me a clearer run at the title. I want people to stand up and take notice of me and these are the kind of nights that makes that happen.

“We’ve been looking at fights here and in the US but this is the one that gives me the buzz. I know I’m comfortably the best Welterweight in Britain and I’m going to put in a devastating performance on March 17 to show the World just that.”

The fight represents an impressive landmark for Hatton, who will fight for the 50th time as a pro when he faces Brook. The Manchester man has held the European and Commonwealth Welterweight titles and put in a brave performance against Saul Alvarez in Anaheim last March when they tussled for the vacant WBC Light Middleweight title.

The 30 year-old returned to Welterweight action in August, winning the vacant IBF International title in Blackpool against Andrei Abramenka and with almost twice the number of fights under his belt, Hatton believes his experience of big fight nights will give him the edge in Sheffield.

“This is a massive night and a massive fight but it's nothing new to me,” said Hatton. “It's my 50th contest and I'm very proud of that, so I want it to be a landmark and Kell is in the way of that, I don't want my 50th fight to be a loss. I've boxed class opposition in big arenas all over the world so experience will play a part in this fight. Fighting Kell in Sheffield isn't something that's going to keep me awake and it's only an hour down the road so I'll have good support there on the night.

“It has irritated me a little bit that people regard Kell as the number one in Britain – I've been European champion and was undefeated at that level, it's like being told you are not even the best at School even though you are the best in Europe!

“So finally one of us is going to be able to say that they are number one – people tell me that he is number one and I'm sure he gets people telling him that I am number one, so on March 17 we'll find out for sure.”

Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn added: “This fight has taken it’s time to arrive but I couldn’t be happier that we have finally got it on. I’ve wanted this fight since we signed Kell, and I remember Ray Hatton telling me early last year to let this fight grow and he was right. It’s perfect timing for both fighters and a massive night for British boxing. I want to bring the glory days back to British boxing and you need fights and events that will capture the public’s imagination – this is just the start of what we want to do in 2012 and we’re going to get Sheffield jumping on March 17.”

Hearn also revealed that British Middleweight star Darren Barker is likely to make his first appearance since fighting Sergio Martinez in October as the chief support on the night, and that Lee Purdy will face Adnan Amar for the English Welterweight title. Other names for the show will be confirmed in the next week.

Tickets for Kell Brook vs. Matthew Hatton plus full championship undercard go on sale at 2pm on Wednesday 11 January.

Tickets priced £30 (tiered), £40 (tiered), £60 (tiered/floor) and £100 (ringside) are available from the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield Box Office on 0114 256 5656 or online at

http://www.motorpointarenasheffield.co.uk/whats-on/kell-brook-vs-matthew-hatton-/

• 3 weeks later...

Frampton to defend Commonwealth belt in Sheffield

Belfast man chief support on March 17 blockbuster card

Carl Frampton will make the second defence of his Commonwealth Super-Bantamweight title as the chief-support bout on the undercard of Kell Brook vs. Matthew Hatton at the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield on March 17.

Frampton delivered a punch-perfect performance in his first defence on Saturday (January 28) with a stunning seventh round knockout of Kris Hughes at York Hall, Bethnal Green.

Barry McGuigan’s protégé moved to 12-0 as a pro in front of a sold-out east London crowd and the 24 year-old will fight in front of the biggest crowd of his career so far on March 17 before Brook and Hatton meet in their blockbusting Welterweight clash.

“It’s a wonderful bill for Carl to be fighting on,” said McGuigan. “The arena will be full of proper discerning boxing fans who will be eager to see Carl in the flesh. We are anxious to keep him busy this year to solidify his position as the most exciting Super-Bantamweight in Britain and he is chomping at the bit to be involved in this massive night for British boxing.”

Also on the undercard, former British Welterweight champion Lee Purdy will hope to get back on track against Nottingham’s Adnan Amar. Purdy claimed the British strap with a fine fifth round stoppage win over Craig Watson at the M.E.N Arena in Manchester in April and then repeated that feat in a rematch in Watson’s backyard of Oldham three months later. He faced Colin Lynes in his second defence at York Hall in November with a chance to claim the Lonsdale belt for keeps, but Lynes tore up the form book to take the belt on points.

John Ryder steps into double figures as a pro on the night, taking on Alistair Warren in an eight-round middleweight clash. Ryder, 23, picked up his sixth win inside the distance on the Frampton-Hughes undercard with a second round stoppage of Mariusz Biskupski taking his unbeaten run to 9-0. Standing in the way of the Islington man’s perfect ten is Huddersfield’s Alistair Warren (8-1-1), the 24 year-old who fought for the WBC Youth Super-Middleweight title in November 2010, losing to Hugo Kasperski.

Amateur star Scott Cardle makes his professional debut at Lightweight on the night, while unbeaten Dudley Middleweight Ryan Aston faces Barnsley’s Lee Noble and Sheffield Heavyweight David Howe also features.

Just added to the undercard is Grzegorz Proksa who will defend his European middleweight title here on March 17.The unbeaten Pole defends the belt for the first time after beating Sebastian Sylvester in Germany to claim the vacant strap in October.

Proksa imposed himself on the former World champion from the first bell and silencing the partisan home crowd in Mecklenburg-Western in the process, before forcing Sylvester to quit on his stool in the third round.

The 27 year-old has registered 19 wins inside the distance in his 26 victories as a pro, and promoter Eddie Hearn said he is delighted to have added the Surrey-based champ to a fantastic championship bill. “I didn't think this show could get any better but Grzegorz inclusion makes March 17th an incredible night’ said Hearn.

• 2 weeks later...

The full card is (subject to fitness):

Kell Brook v Matthew Hatton

WBA Inter-Continental and IBF International Welterweight title

... Grzegorz Proksa v Kerry Hope

European Middleweight Title

Carl Frampton v TBA

Commonwealth Super Bantamweight Title

Other bouts include:

Lee Purdy v Adnan Amar

John Ryder v Alistair Warren

Ryan Aston v Lee Noble

Eamonn O'Kane v Wayne Reed

Scott Cardle v TBC

David Howe v TBC

A limited number of tickets still available http://www.motorpointarenasheffield.co.uk/whats-on/kell-brook-v-matthew-hatton-/

• 2 weeks later...

Meadowhall to host Brook vs. Hatton public weigh-in

Fight fans invited to shopping centre to see War of the Roses stars on the scales

Matchroom Sport are pleased to announced that the weigh-in for Kell Brook’s War of the Roses welterweight blockbuster with Matthew Hatton will be open to the public at the Meadowhall Shopping Centre in Sheffield at 1.30pm on Friday March 16.

Brook and Hatton clash the following day at the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield live on Sky Sports 1, HD1 and 3D and promoter Eddie Hearn believes the pair will pull a big lunchtime crowd as they step on the scales, along with undercard stars Carl Frampton, Greg Proksa, Lee Purdy, John Ryder, Ryan Aston and Scotty Cardle for the massive show in the Steel City.

“I am delighted that Meadowhall are hosting the weigh-in for the War of the Roses,” said show promoter Eddie Hearn. “We are heading for a sold-out show and I know that fight fans will turn out in force to roar them to the scales as they edge ever closer to the moment of truth.”

Archived