Could Any Drivers Today Double Clutch??

When I took my driving test in 1960 the cars then were nowhere near as sophisticated as nowadays no power steering,drum brakes on most cars the gearing wasn,t brilliant,noisy engines suspension so so.One of todays super-minis could outperform more quietly smoother ect.than a motor with twice its power from the 60s,gearboxes were whiney most cars had no syncromesh in 1st and clutches were not great so you had to double-clutch to do a smooth change.This came natural to me as I learned in a lorry which had no syncro at all so it was what you called a crashgearbox,you dipped the clutch pulled the stick to neutral let it out dipped again changed let out again,accelerated repeated the process up the box.To change down dip clutch move stick to neutral rev engine dip clutch change down let clutch out,after a while you got used to the revs and didn,t grate the gears,I got that good at it in the end I could change gear without the clutch just by getting the revs right.How would you drivers of today fancy putting up with all that messing about?.My artic lorry unit has an automatic gearbox is as quiet as a car and as comfy and a treat to drive a far cry from when I started 50yrs ago!!.:roll::D:D

Sounds straightforward, I remember hearing about this as a kid in the 70s. Wasn't it called 'Double D Clutch', or is that my child memory?

Double de clutching was used before syncomesh gears became the norm i taught my wife to drive in a ford pop e93a three speed nonsyncro box, cable brakes, no heater, six volt electrics,pop up indicators.I sold it for fifty pounds in 1976 it would be interesting to know what one would be worth now.

I have never driven a lorry...but was taught to double de clutch way back in 1967.

As old tup says....I too could change gear without using the clutch. It became an obsession to do it...just because I could.

Good old days...eh!

Double de clutching was used before syncomesh gears became the norm i taught my wife to drive in a ford pop e93a three speed nonsyncro box, cable brakes, no heater, six volt electrics,pop up indicators.I sold it for fifty pounds in 1976 it would be interesting to know what one would be worth now.

Bought one of those from Intake Motor Auctions for £12:00 in the 60's. Had to park it on a hill to "bump start" it each morning to get on the early shift and had to use a pair of tights/stockings (can't remember which) as a fan belt many times.

1968, my driving instructor showed me how to go thro' the gears without using the clutch.

Put in neutral,start engine,push the car until it was just moving, at the right speed engage 1st gear, jump in and go up and down thro' the gears by getting the engine/road speed just right.

I have a couple of classic cars my Ford 100e pop has a crash 3 speed box my daily car is a 4+4 Shogun automatic a bit of a difference, I was taught how to drive HGV in the army I had to take my test in a Thornycroft Antar artic 16 speed double slip axle,the new trucks are like driving cars now the Volvo trucks are automatic everything I don't think the drivers now would know how to drive a crash box mind you they were rubbish to drive and I still have a bad knee from driving them old trucks.

Archived