Golden eagle on loose in South Yorkshire

more likely buzzard or harris hawk, beautiful birds :love:

Harris's aren't native are they? I know they commonly liked amongst falconers as they're 'relatively' easy to keep and train... so perhaps an escapee?

Agreed, on them being beautiful Birds though.. was nearly tempted to get into falconry myself a few years back..

Harris's aren't native are they? I know they commonly liked amongst falconers as they're 'relatively' easy to keep and train... so perhaps an escapee?

Agreed, on them being beautiful Birds though.. was nearly tempted to get into falconry myself a few years back..

there has been a few escapees recently, the harris is native to america, very easily trained . i am so obcessed with any birds of prey but sadly i am in unsuitable housing to have one , one day !!!!!!! watch this space :)

there has been a few escapees recently, the harris is native to america, very easily trained . i am so obcessed with any birds of prey but sadly i am in unsuitable housing to have one , one day !!!!!!! watch this space :)

I see Red Kites nearly every day! Sometimes as low as rooftop height.

I see Red Kites nearly every day! Sometimes as low as rooftop height.

fabulous, such beautiful birds too. i thought they were only in wales but googled it recently and found out they are in yorkshire too now, numbers must be increasing, good news ;)

but sadly i am in unsuitable housing to have one , one day !!!!!!! watch this space :)

Basically the same reason I never persued it further, probably got just about enough room for a mews in the back yard, but I don't think my Westie would thank me :D

Then there's getting permission off a local landowner to fly it etc..

Have considered taking on an Owl or two, that are flightless.. due to injury or whatever, there's loads needing good homes.

I don't know about the Rotherham area, but there are 4 pair of common buzzards on the Welbeck Estate just South of Worksop and they do have quite a large hunting range, don't think they'll get up there though.

During the summer there is also a pair of Honey buzzards.

They weren't; but I suspect they have become so, with various escapees having nested over the years. (cf. parakeets, in London...)

We saw a flock of parakeets from my brother in law to be's house in Holland Park last year.

Archived