Golden eagle on loose in South Yorkshire

Yep seen parakeets in Nether Edge too.

And there was a Harris Hawk up at Holt House School some years ago.

Just wait until the Eagle Owl numbers start rising.

My Grandad shot a golden eagle years ago. (Have I told this story before?). He stuffed it into a sack, slung it over his back and started cycling home (he was maybe 15). However, he had only stunned it, and it made a mess of his back before he could get it out and shoot it again.

It now stands, stuffed with wings outstretched (two metres at least) above my Uncle's favourite sofa. Still looks good too.

Eagle my left buttock. Given that the Golden Eagle is about twice the size of the bird in the report, I'd say it was unlikely!

There's nothing on the Rare Bird Alert either - the twitchers would have spotted an eagle by now :D

I favour a Harris over a buzzard as they're more likely to go for live prey (and wouldn't be timid around people). They look totally different but as the dog owner thought it was an eagle...

Maybe it was a roc?

Eagle my left buttock. Given that the Golden Eagle is about twice the size of the bird in the report, I'd say it was unlikely!

There's nothing on the Rare Bird Alert either - the twitchers would have spotted an eagle by now :D

I favour a Harris over a buzzard as they're more likely to go for live prey (and wouldn't be timid around people). They look totally different but as the dog owner thought it was an eagle...

Maybe it was a roc?

Weird! I've got an eagle on my right buttock!

Surely it's just Albert Ross up to his old tricks again.

He spent a fortune to have his arms lengthened and his legs shortened in a series of operations. He then went home, painted himself with Evo-Stik and leapt into a barrel of feathers. To this day, he continues to launch himself from tall buildings and swoop around in the skies of Yorkshire. If you listen carefully, you can hear his cry; "Ayup, Ayuup!"

I see Red Kites nearly every day! Sometimes as low as rooftop height.
We are very lucky to have 2 Red Kites that seem to have taken a liking to our Village. Feel honoured to see them most days gliding around looking for food that quite a few people put out for them. They also get very low at time, and seem to like be where there are people, which surprises me because I always thought they were quite shy birds, but when they are rooftop height and just above your head they look pretty big, amazing birds. Would love to see a wild golden eagle as well.

Archived