Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

A 22-year-old graduate has been told that she must work in Poundland - unpaid for 2 weeks as a shelf stacker - or lose her benefits.

She's told them to stick it and is taking the Government to court under the Human Rights Act as, under Article 4 (2), it states ' No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour'.

Crikey, this could open a bag of worms!

Your opinions would be welcome. :hihi:

If she was forced to take the job then she did right in taking the goverment to court,forced labour is not how a civilised country should behave.

i think this was brought in by the tories in the 80 s with the youth oppertunities scheme

Under the YTS scheme you were properly trained as you received college training with qualifications which lasted from 6 months to 2 years. You also got the tools, books and equipment necessary, a bus pass and a top up bonus. Radically different to what Labour brought in and what this government are doing.

Under the YTS scheme you were properly trained as you received college training with qualifications which lasted from 6 months to 2 years. You also got the tools, books and equipment necessary, a bus pass and a top up bonus. Radically different to what Labour brought in and what this government are doing.
i dont know what yts scheme you was on but nothing like the one i was on . first of all we didnt get a bus pass,no qualifications either, after the year was up you was sent down the road.

It is slavery as the state dictates terms and conditions of employment, not to mention all the subsidies to other organisations. Land monopoly etc.

It is akin to corvee labour, but working for state benefits on the behalf of private companies.

Man is not free to create his own employment you see.

Someone says 'barmpot' and up you pop :hihi:

It's not slavery, she's free to not work, the state doesn't owe her benefits though so not working when told to do so means no more handout.

She is of course free to start a business of her own, she doesn't need to own land to do it, she could buy a bike (or get one on free cycle) and be a courier.

Someone says 'barmpot' and up you pop :hihi:

It's not slavery, she's free to not work, the state doesn't owe her benefits though so not working when told to do so means no more handout.

She is of course free to start a business of her own, she doesn't need to own land to do it, she could buy a bike (or get one on free cycle) and be a courier.

Evil landowners force bicycle makers to buy or rent land from them.

i dont know what yts scheme you was on but nothing like the one i was on . first of all we didnt get a bus pass,no qualifications either, after the year was up you was sent down the road.

Sorry, I apologise as I got that wrong. It was called Employment Training hence the term used at the time "Extra Tenner." I was at Loxley college for 2 days a week, and hands on work placement for the other 3. I got said bus pass, a £10 top-up on the dole money and ended up with 2 recognised C&G certificates at the end.

But, that was in 1990 and under a Tory government.

By the way. Demeaning work? Who the hell are you to call any work demeaning?

Maybe you should look at the post I quoted. They, like Cait Reilly, obviously think the work is beneath them if they deliberately do it bad and intend to steal.

And for your information I started out life as a shelf stacker in Gateway. It didn't do me any harm and I was glad of the money when I was a lowly student.

The only people who are being done a favour here are the companys who get the slave workforce (and the £2000 bonus once the 3 week placement has been completed)

This was the system under Labour, hopefully the conservatives will change this.

If there is a job that needs to be done, employ people and give them a wage.

Well said.

Schemes like this just increase unemployment as some employers of unskilled staff realise that they don't have to pay wages any more, instead they can be paid large amounts for taking these people off the official figures.

Why employ unskilled staff & pay them a wage when you can have an endless stream of 3 week placements & get paid £2000 each for them instead?

It's all wrong. It's just done to manipulate official statistics & benefit large private businesses.

Archived