Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

If she was forced to take the job then she did right in taking the goverment to court,forced labour is not how a civilised country should behave.

She's not being forced though, just advised that she will lose her benefits if she doesn't take the job, she does have a choice!! She also has the choice of finding work and stopping claim benefits.

Yeah, as forced as I am to work. I don't receive my pay if i don't work - might take my employer to human rights court, do you think I have a case?:)

Isn't that the point? You have a job for which you receive a salary. She is on benefits, and already doing relevant volunteer work which could actively help her get a job.

Workfare (because this is what it is) is about providing a subsidised labour pool for companies, not helping people find work.

why do you think its ok to work for benefits when there is actually a job there :huh:

No, I don't!

If the girl is seeking work (as she should be) then they are helping her out by giving her work experience, no?!

School children all over the land are 'forced' to do 2 weeks work as part of their curriculum, also known as work experience.

School children all over the land are 'forced' to do 2 weeks work as part of their curriculum, also known as work experience.

They can decide not to do it.

If they don't do it, their parents do not lose CB, CTC, they would still be entitled to free school meals etc.

If they wanted to, they could opt out of school altogether and jump onto JSA/ESA at 16.

No, I don't!

If the girl is seeking work (as she should be) then they are helping her out by giving her work experience, no?!

if the company you work for layed people off then had this set up in place would you still agree to it

No, I don't!

That is as it should be.

I worked for a week at the firm before I served my time at back in the 60's.

It lets you now if you like them, and if they like you.

A good idea all round, and a first step for a boy to become a man

Archived