Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

At the age of 22 she's either recieving Jobseekers Allowance or Income Support, so therefore it's not like she's "Working for nothing", is it?

I support the Government on this one, she should be made to work. If she refuses her benefit should be stopped completely.

It's about time our Government copied the American idea and make "WORK FOR DOLE" compulsary. :)

If there is a job in Poundland for a shelf stacker, then they should employ some one to do it, and reduce the unemployment queue.

Why should we pay for them to get an unemployed person to do it.

Our taxes go to giving someone support whilst job seeking.

Not to pay companies like Pounland to get free (slave) labour at our expense.

The same applies in all cases.

If work needs doing, let it be advertised and done at the market rate.

Not by sending job seekers to do it, for nothing.

So with the exception of not getting your travel or lunch money and weird noises it sounds just like having to work in a shop.

Did you ask about the promised travel and lunch money, I doubt it was supposed to come from Poundland...

Yes, it was the job centre who said we would get it, someone was meant to come down and give it to us. Never got it. I know it was meant to be like working in a shop, but on your hands and knees for hours on end cleaning filthy shelves! In the end they got free workers and only employed one person who ended up leaving shortly after. The staff were rude to us, spoke to like we were something they had stepped in. Sorry mainly the managers.

If there is a job in Poundland for a shelf stacker, then they should employ some one to do it, and reduce the unemployment queue.

Why should we pay for them to get an unemployed person to do it.

Our taxes go to giving someone support whilst job seeking.

Not to pay companies like Pounland to get free (slave) labour at our expense.

The same applies in all cases.

If work needs doing, let it be advertised and done at the market rate.

Not by sending job seekers to do it, for nothing.

I agree.

Why are we taxpayers subsidising the poor wages of supermarket employees, and giving said supermarket the free labour of 'apprentices' (and I believe the government also gives them a grant of £2,000 for each one,) when the CEO is expected to receive an annual bonus this year of £5 million?

I've posted this before and no one wants to give me an answer.

The Poundland case is the same. I hope it does go to court. Maybe they'll be able to give me an answer...

If there is someone at Poundland stacking shelves who is only there for 2 weeks and absolutely resents being there, then I wouldn't like to think what kind of effort they are giving. Poundland's staff and management probably feel like they are more hinderance than help, like babysitting a naughty child. I would imagine that at least one comment of "who does she think she is?" would have gone round the place.

If there is someone at Poundland stacking shelves who is only there for 2 weeks and absolutely resents being there, then I wouldn't like to think what kind of effort they are giving. Poundland's staff and management probably feel like they are more hinderance than help, like babysitting a naughty child. I would imagine that at least one comment of "who does she think she is?" would have gone round the place.
I actually resented the job myself but I gave it my all as I knew it would no doubt affect my benefits if I didn't. I was referred to A4E and it was them who told me I had to go on the placement or I would lose all benefits. I found my own job no thanks to them.

I agree.

Why are we taxpayers subsidising the poor wages of supermarket employees, and giving said supermarket the free labour of 'apprentices' (and I believe the government also gives them a grant of £2,000 for each one,)

Is this believe supported by evidence, as throughout this thread no one has been able to back up this assertion.

when the CEO is expected to receive an annual bonus this year of £5 million?

I've posted this before and no one wants to give me an answer.

Maybe it's because the unverified payment to these businesses for taking people on for 2 weeks isn't related to the CEO's bonus?

Of course I worked yesterday, as I do every day but Sundays, and then sometimes.

How did you manage to post then? Not enough cleaning or clerical work to do?

Your company seems destined for oblivion if they pay you to sit around doing nothing, waiting for work.

I didn't say waiting for work, I said waiting for servers to start up and similar things.

My company is doing very well thank you. I should know, I'm the boss.

In your idle time you could be better employed doing some cleaning or clerical work.

Yeah I'm sure. Sometimes I do pop downstairs and do the dishes though, but my house doesn't take that much cleaning and there is no clerical work to do!

Guess I made a better career choice than you.

Landowners do expect us to keep them, otherwise do they charge rent etc?

Charging rent is not expecting anything, it's running a business.

If we were to accept your ridiculous statement then we could claim that you expect businesses to keep you since you charge them for your labour.

It is that premise that all society is based upon.

All of society is based on buy to let... :loopy:

hi im going on a placement in a hotel cleaning its 25-30 hrs a week part in college i went on one last year in hospital and college did nt find work .

I find out tom if i have a place but because i went on a course last year i wont know till tom wether i can get on it or not .

I have nt got a problem going on the course i did nt get my bus fayres back from last one and if they dont pay i wont be able to fork out £5 a day fayres i just want a job keep applying but get no where got a test for the nhs today anyway just thought id say im on jobseekers and have two children and a single parent thanks

Archived