Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

I did a lot of DIY and the BnQ is just down the road, I know that some of them (just a few mind) have been there that long.

Yes as you say, there are many who are long stagers.

The same with Wickes as well.

But the vast majority are on a quick turnover it seems.

I well remenber the old style ironmongers, with the men in brown smocks behind the counter.

Woe betide you if you did not know exactly what you wanted in those days.

No kindly advice, just ripping sarcasm, from those gents. :D

I seriously doubt that they are 2 week placements though, the place simply wouldn't run. I'm sure it takes more than 2 weeks before someone is half way competent in most jobs.

My wife's sister works in a Poundland in Leeds. She is fuming because her hours have been cut back due to the shop taking on Work Programme unpaid 'volunteers', some for as little as 2 weeks - but most for 4 - 8 weeks. She tells me it takes just 2 hours for the company to cover basic health and safety procedures AND instruct the 'volunteers' how best to stack shelves and carry out basic cleaning duties, then the unpaid workers are given jobs to do. Poundland can inform the Jobcentre if a 'volunteer' is not working hard enough, or is not co-operating.

Giving the paid employee's less hours cuts down on the company's national insurance bill, as well as wages.

hi im going on a placement in a hotel cleaning its 25-30 hrs a week part in college i went on one last year in hospital and college did nt find work .

I find out tom if i have a place but because i went on a course last year i wont know till tom wether i can get on it or not .

I have nt got a problem going on the course i did nt get my bus fayres back from last one and if they dont pay i wont be able to fork out £5 a day fayres i just want a job keep applying but get no where got a test for the nhs today anyway just thought id say im on jobseekers and have two children and a single parent thanks

With linguistic skills like that, I'm sure you'll find work very soon.

My wife's sister works in a Poundland in Leeds. She is fuming because her hours have been cut back due to the shop taking on Work Programme unpaid 'volunteers', some for as little as 2 weeks - but most for 4 - 8 weeks. She tells me it takes just 2 hours for the company to cover basic health and safety procedures AND instruct the 'volunteers' how best to stack shelves and carry out basic cleaning duties, then the unpaid workers are given jobs to do. Poundland can inform the Jobcentre if a 'volunteer' is not working hard enough, or is not co-operating.

Giving the paid employee's less hours cuts down on the company's national insurance bill, as well as wages.

That does seem out of order, she should contact her MP (and all her coworkers should as well).

this new welfare to work programme is going to cost a billion http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2011/nov-2011/dwp132-11.shtml and people blame labour for wasting money :huh:

If you were a politician ricgem, would you try and get votes by saying "we are going invest £1b to try and get people into work".

Or say, "I'm going to put sod all into getting people into work".

I know which would get more votes.

Whether it works or not is a different matter. Paying out to try and get people/keep people in work is nothing new. Both main parties have being trying things for decades.

If this is true, then Poundland are breaching 4.4.2, see bottom of this post.

This looks like more of a claim, than the OP is claiming.

Archived