Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

I find it despicable that we are allowing companies such as tax avoiding Tesco's to offer these placements.

When the Govt announced they wanted employment benefit individuals to work for their monies, i agreed with this. However, they should be working for the state, not stacking shelves for supermarkets. Its a bloody disgrace.

Watch the Govt back track quickly....

I don't know about the company director case but I would strongly disagree. She had been doing the voluntary work at the museum for some time without any success in finding work in that sector.

Jobs in museums are highly sought after and difficult to obtain, many people who wish to work in that sector never do. It's not for the tax payer to support this girl until she has found the job she WANTS to do, but until she has found a job she can do. If she can't find a job in a museum it's totally appropriate that she should look at other sectors like retail rather than expecting the tax payer to support her endless volunteering.

If she wants to volunteer either her parents should support her. But she can't expect the taxpayer to support her in this lifestyle choice any more than a 20 stone chav can sit round on her bum demanding the dole until she gets a job as a model.

I agree with this, its almost impossible to get a job in this line of work, even with a postgraduate degree in librarianship and archive studies. She has virually no chance of getting a job.

Do you possibly think this had something to do with her attitude? If someone came to work for you and made it quite clear they believed it was beneath them and would be taking legal action for being forced to do the kind of 'demeaning' activities that the rest of your staff do every day would you bother to interview them?

But the deal was an interview was promised. Poundland know in advance what some of these people are going to be like, and in any case they made a deal to interview these people.

Do you possibly think this had something to do with her attitude? If someone came to work for you and made it quite clear they believed it was beneath them and would be taking legal action for being forced to do the kind of 'demeaning' activities that the rest of your staff do every day would you bother to interview them?

I don't think her issue is that she wasn't interviewed (indeed I strongly suspect that she did not bring this up with Poundland during her employment), her issue is that she was made to do the job at all - the interview point is simply to back up her case - she would never have taken the job and isn't asking to be considered for it - she's simply saying she didn't want to do the placement in the first place.

It's nothing to do with attitude, my younger brother who graduated in 2008 with an Accountancy degree was in a similar position and after being employed by Halifax bank and then made redundant 2mths later under the last in 1st out rule he even offered to work for free in jobs in this sector but nobody would entertain him.

The social tried making him apply for jobs in supermarkets etc to which he told them that if they thought that after spending a few years studying and incuring debts of more than £25k that he would apply to be a shelf stacker in some supermarket than they thought wrong.

It has nothing to do with thinking the job is beneath them, what would you say if it was one of your children in this position after studying for a few years with debts mounting up and then some dwp advisor is advising them to apply for a job in a supermarket which would only cover living expenses but not the debt which doesn't include the student loan that you pay when earning over a certain amount?

The gov encourages uni education that gets you into debt and then the dwp says apply for a supermarket job, sorry but I think the graduate is right to take this further.

It's nothing to do with attitude, my younger brother who graduated in 2008 with an Accountancy degree was in a similar position and after being employed by Halifax bank and then made redundant 2mths later under the last in 1st out rule he even offered to work for free in jobs in this sector but nobody would entertain him.

The social tried making him apply for jobs in supermarkets etc to which he told them that if they thought that after spending a few years studying and incuring debts of more than £25k that he would apply to be a shelf stacker in some supermarket than they thought wrong.

It has nothing to do with thinking the job is beneath them, what would you say if it was one of your children in this position after studying for a few years with debts mounting up and then some dwp advisor is advising them to apply for a job in a supermarket which would only cover living expenses but not the debt which doesn't include the student loan that you pay when earning over a certain amount?

The gov encourages uni education that gets you into debt and then the dwp says apply for a supermarket job, sorry but I think the graduate is right to take this further.

It's exactly to do with attitude. Going to university doesn't give you a get out of jail for free card entitling them to sit on there behinds doing nothing claiming the dole turning down perfectly good jobs because they think having a bit of paper behind them makes them too precious to get off their lazy behinds and do a proper days work.

I think your brothers attitude stinks and I would be ashamed of a child of mine if they preferred to sit around expecting the state to support them when they were perfectly capable of going out, getting a job and supporting themselves.

I've known lots of people who have done jobs in supermarkets, shops, bars or labouring on building sites as a stop gap between Uni and a proper job. Most if not all of them have gone on to do something relevant to their degrees but I have to say in my experience the precious little angels who sit round refusing to do anything beneath them often end up totally unemployable and unable to get ANYTHING.

It's exactly to do with attitude. Going to university doesn't give you a get out of jail for free card entitling them to sit on there behinds doing nothing claiming the dole turning down perfectly good jobs because they think having a bit of paper behind them makes them too precious to get off their lazy behinds and do a proper days work.

I think your brothers attitude stinks and I would be ashamed of a child of mine if they preferred to sit around expecting the state to support them when they were perfectly capable of going out, getting a job and supporting themselves.

I've known lots of people who have done jobs in supermarkets, shops, bars or labouring on building sites as a stop gap between Uni and a proper job. Most if not all of them have gone on to do something relevant to their degrees but I have to say in my experience the precious little angels who sit round refusing to do anything beneath them often end up totally unemployable and unable to get ANYTHING.

I think I agree with you..2 of my kids graduated last summer,both are looking for jobs relevant to their studies but at the moment both are working in other "ordinary" (for want of a better word) jobs just to support themselves..

I think I agree with you..2 of my kids graduated last summer,both are looking for jobs relevant to their studies but at the moment both are working in other "ordinary" (for want of a better word) jobs just to support themselves..

I know. I think it's desperately unfair when you have kids like yours doing something a boring just to pay their bills and the interest on their debts and actually going out to work every day and on top of all this paying tax for these precious little darlings to sit on their bum doing nothing because they're far too good to work in Wilkos!

What do they think it's going to look like when they go to job interviews and they're asked what they've been doing for the past few years? If they're asked why they haven't worked? It will look really bad for them if they say 'I didn't want to do menial work when they're going for an entry level graduate job that's going to involve a lot of photocopying and stapling for the first few years.

I know. I think it's desperately unfair when you have kids like yours doing something a boring just to pay their bills and the interest on their debts and actually going out to work every day and on top of all this paying tax for these precious little darlings to sit on their bum doing nothing because they're far too good to work in Wilkos!

What do they think it's going to look like when they go to job interviews and they're asked what they've been doing for the past few years? If they're asked why they haven't worked? It will look really bad for them if they say 'I didn't want to do menial work when they're going for an entry level graduate job that's going to involve a lot of photocopying and stapling for the first few years.

We've just told them there's nothing wrong with ambition but at the moment you have to be realistic,get employment now but keep looking/applying for what they really want to do with their life..as you say,the fact that they are willing to work won't stand in their way when they do finally get a chance to use their studies..

When my son graduated (in Economics) in the early 90s, he couldn't find 'appropriate' work. He had student debts to pay too, but no one has to pay those back until they are earning a reasonable amount. (Unless that ruling has changed)

He had to come back home to live, and he got a job in a travel agent's office, at around the minimum wage. He wasn't made to feel very welcome by several of the supervisors because he'd been to university, and when he had the audacity to actually buy the Times one day he was immediately labelled a snob. :roll: However, he stuck it out until a new opportunity came along. He got accepted to do a Masters in IT, and he was fortunate to get a bursary that was the equivalent of what he'd been earning. Once he got his MSc, he had no problem finding a job in IT, which has led to a very well paid career. He appreciates it all the more for having had low paid, low satisfaction jobs.

His dad and I felt that any job was better than none, and I believe people can learn from every work experience, even if its not how to do something. ;)

A 22-year-old graduate has been told that she must work in Poundland - unpaid for 2 weeks as a shelf stacker - or lose her benefits.

She's told them to stick it and is taking the Government to court under the Human Rights Act as, under Article 4 (2), it states ' No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour'.

Crikey, this could open a bag of worms!

Your opinions would be welcome. :hihi:

Holy crap, what did I say about a year ago?

Archived