Girl turns down 'mandatory' work placement

You think we should have homelessness imposed upon the people because of an unjust law?

If you were legally obliged to jump off a cliff what would you do?

No! :loopy:

Come on mate, even you aren't that daft.

Whoa there, his attitude doesn't stink because he is not on benefits anymore he is in Dubai making an absolute killing but if he had done as the dwp said and applied for a shelf stacker job he wouldn't have been in dubai and no he wasn't expecting the state to look after him so where did you get that from?

I think your and other posters attitude stinks as you look down on people claiming benefits and expect them to accept anything thrown at them.

As for the little piece of paper you mention, how many pieces of degree paper do you own yourself?

I don't look down on people who claim benefits because they genuinely can't find work or are sick or ill and can't work. But I do look down on people who are perfectly capable of working but decide they can't be bothered because they're too precious to do a 'normal' job.

You said he was 'down the social' which certainly gives the impression he was expecting the state to support him.

And I can't see why working short term as a shelf stacker would have stopped him going to Dubai, he could just have quit when the offer in Dubai was made rather than twiddling his thumbs. Interesting he was quite happy to take the benefits but I assume as an ex-pat isn't putting anything back into the system or paying off his student loan.

And I just have the one degree, thanks for asking. But after I graduated I worked in pubs and shops whilst looking for something else, I never expected anybody to fork out for me to sit on my behind waiting for my fairy godmother to come along a drop my dream job in my lap. I would never have sat about doing nothing expecting other people to support me with THEIR money when I was perfectly capable of doing a days work even if it was boring, routine or physical, I would have been ashamed to do that.

I don't see how she expects to win this court case.

Nor do I as she is not being forced to do the work.

What she should have done is complain that she is being discriminated against and not being given the same rights as paid employees. Paid employees are covered under various workers acts and she isn't. She has no legal rights under the offices shops and railway premises act and probably not covered under employees or public liability insurance. No legal right to complain to a union is also another problem. Who would she sue if she had an accident as she is technically a volunteer. She should have asked for proof of insurance cover first.

She could also have turned up and then refused to work as under the data protection act Poundland are not allowed to give out information that can identify an employee even if she is voluntary. The DWP are also technically in breach of the act by asking about her.

Its no wonder Poundland don't advertise for staff any more.

A 22-year-old graduate has been told that she must work in Poundland - unpaid for 2 weeks as a shelf stacker - or lose her benefits.

She's told them to stick it and is taking the Government to court under the Human Rights Act as, under Article 4 (2), it states ' No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour'.

Crikey, this could open a bag of worms!

Your opinions would be welcome. :hihi:

Best of luck to her

Ah right. Different matter, I guess. Museum of Pens... I never. I must give that one a visit.

Are the people of Birmingham renowned for their spelling ability?

Isn't the plural of 'Pens' 'Penses'?

Or am I missing something ... or should that be plural, too?

Archived