Hypothetical Theology Question?

Hmmm...Ok, I'll concede that one!..lol....But having said that, they can't be passifists either. They've had their fair share of altrecations.

I think the only thing that anyone is likely to condemn them for, would be to do with the Palestinians, and that disagreement wouldn’t have happened.

Begs the question really, if they were ok beforehand, was Jesus necessary?

As a christian I cant possibly go down the road of denial, but I do believe that there were a lot of reasonable religious beliefs swept away as a result of the christian advance.

I think the only thing that anyone is likely to condemn them for, would be to do with the Palestinians, and that disagreement wouldn’t have happened.

According to the bible the Jews/Isrealites used to go to war all the time. Moses even destroyed entire civilisations apparently, killing the men and even all the livestock and taking all of the women and children as slaves, all explicitly condoned and in some cases ordered by Yahweh of course.

So with all this debate. It seems the sticking point is whether or not we would be as advanced as we are now without Christianity. My view is that we would be. (humour me).......Would Jesus, if he turned up now, with the all the technological advances and tools we have now be given a second thought?

So with all this debate. It seems the sticking point is whether or not we would be as advanced as we are now without Christianity
To be fair it's only one person suggesting that. Imagine how much more quickly biology, astronomy, and geology would have caught on without the Christian backlash against their discoveries, the scientific revolution may well have happened a few centuries earlier. But who knows, there's just far too many variables involved to have any idea at all what might have happened over a period as long as 2000 years.

Perhaps in order to get around that problem the new Messiah could be a Jesus-like figure and that way you could just have the world as it is now anyway.

Would Jesus, if he turned up now, with the all the technological advances and tools we have now be given a second thought?

Historical Jesus: No, of course not, he'd be just another religious nut in a sea of religious nuts. Perhaps he'd have a commune somewhere with a hundred followers or so.

Mythical Jesus: Yes of course, he'd just whip up a few miracles, give the money from the James Randi foundation to charity, and then tour the world showing off his miracles and earning new converts.

So with all this debate. It seems the sticking point is whether or not we would be as advanced as we are now without Christianity. My view is that we would be. (humour me).......Would Jesus, if he turned up now, with the all the technological advances and tools we have now be given a second thought?

Yes he would as I suggested way back on post #2 :)

Historical Jesus: No, of course not, he'd be just another religious nut in a sea of religious nuts. Perhaps he'd have a commune somewhere with a hundred followers or so.

Mythical Jesus: Yes of course, he'd just whip up a few miracles, give the money from the James Randi foundation to charity, and then tour the world showing off his miracles and earning new converts.

This. qft.

List of people claimed to be Jesus.

He may have already been back but seemingly no one believed him.:D

^

This

The only thing I would add is that mythical Jesus could plant the convincing evidence of his divinity in heads of everybody simultaneously, and instantaneously. It wouldn't matter how sceptical somebody was, that scepticism could be magicked away.

Archived