Hypothetical Theology Question?

Calvinists and the industrial revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Weber#The_Protestant_Ethic_and_the_Spirit_of_Capitalism

Clear enough?

No not at all.

I'm not denying that the Calvinists had an impact on the industrial revolution, they did.

What I am denying (and what you have completely failed to substantiate) is without them the industrial revolution wouldn't have happened at all.

Also, and more importantly, that the Calvinists becoming industrialists had absolutely nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus, and in fact, went directly against them. They became industrialists in spite of Jesus, not because of him.

Also, you've never read that book, you just saw someone else mention it earlier in the thread and are now trying to pretend that you were already aware of it, you are transparent.

Ha ha ha :hihi: your funny.

Jesus in his words and actions gave the world he lived in a message of love. Jesus harmed no one, he was not a slave owner or warlord. I am right you are wrong. I have proved my argument you have stamped your feet.:loopy:

Here's some more of Jesus' message:

Matthew 11:20-24 20Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

21Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. 23And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Can't you just feel the "love".

Hello all:D

I don't think the world would be as it is now without Jesus.

No I'm not a happy clapper.

It's just without christanity, we would not have had calvinists. No calvinists no industrial revolution ? It's not that big a stretch,

Post 34 I first introduce calvinists.

And the post is claptrap, at best.

What a powerful and master debater you are.

I'll make it simple for you

No Jesus

No Christians

No calvinists

No industrial revolution.

Links provided a number of times.

As a side issue, I said imagine if Jesus was not a man of peace and love, with a message of peace and love, but a warlord slave owning child rapist mass murderer? As many of the time were. I said the world we live in would most likely not say, he who is without sin cast the first stone. Rather he who does not throw the stone hard enough gets it next.

Google sermon on the mount.

Jesus harmed no one and lived by his words.

No Jesus

No Christians

No calvinists

No industrial revolution.

The fourth line does not follow from the third.

And even if it did, you would still be wrong because the Calvinists becoming industrialists had absolutely nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus, and in fact, went directly against them.

As a side issue, I said imagine if Jesus was not a man of peace and love
There wouldn't really be all that much difference, seeing as throughout the history of Christianity Christians have had no problem at all with ignoring what Jesus said and changing their interpretations to suit the morals of the day.

So, rather than be bothered to actually study the texts yourself, you've taken the time to let some apologists explain for you instead. Are you sure you are serious about your beliefs?

Again, Jesus clearly states he hadn't come to bring peace. He clearly states he has come to set people against each other. A peaceful man would do the opposite.

Archived