Hypothetical Theology Question?

We also had 1600/1700 years after Jesus where very little advancement was made. Science is responsible, in the main.

True, but what allowed the science? Plus capital? Plus work ethic? Plus the enlightenment. I've shown clear links and gave bullet points.

Why did science not advance as it has before Jesus?

My argument is the collective religions and ideologies of the time were not suitable for such advancement.

The teachings of Jesus gave direct rise to where we are now.

Paganism had at least 40,000 years

Judaism at least 2,000 years

Before Jesus. And yet very little changed.

Islam for example, where would Islamic nations be without oil? Or the industrial revolution that requires oil?

Jesus became Christianity, which gave rise to Calvinism, which raised the capital to fund the industrial revolution and here we are the ICT age.

My argument is the collective religions and ideologies of the time were not suitable for such advancement.

So you're saying a 1st century celtic tribe were not suitable to put a man on the moon if Jesus had not come along? Jesus is the reason we went into space? I'm having a hard time understanding your point.

So you're saying a 1st century celtic tribe were not suitable to put a man on the moon if Jesus had not come along? Jesus is the reason we went into space? I'm having a hard time understanding your point.

The motivation was missing, due to the ideology they followed in the faith they had.

The motivation was missing, due to the ideology they followed in the faith they had.

However, the godless Soviet Union put the first man into space so religious faith wasn't an issue there. The space race was an essential part of the cold war, not of religious fervour.

That's not an argument yet.

Make it real simple. Pretend I'm dumb. :)

Jesus

Then

Christianity

Then

Catholics

Then

Enlightenment

Then

Puritanism

Then

Calvinists

Then the capital was built up over hundreds of years which provided the gold to fund the investment needed in the industrial revolution. Plus an ideology/religion that allowed the development of the scientific method, Christianity.

First off: I'm not a student of theology or even bother about 'christianity!!!

But, lets say Jesus had never been born two thousand years ago and he had 'chosen' to arrive now. What chance would there be in this day and age of him 'converting' anyone, and what chance of survival? (leaving aside the "he had to die to save us all" argument of some people).

Personally, I think, not very long at all. No chance in fact!

As my argument is not much would have changed without Jesus and his message, if he was born today I think he would be listened to as then.

Archived