Voluntary work and retired people

Can anyone explain why when people retire they rush out to do voluntary work for nothing whilst when working full time they would strike at the mere rumour of a pay cut.:loopy:

Because working (even unpaid) gives them a reason to get out of bed in the morning, an interest, social intercourse, a feeling of being part of society, making a contribution to the world. All of those and more.

I've heard it said (by someone much wiser than me), that while your working, everyone hates Monday morning and having to get up for work. But for someone who doesn't work (for whatever reason) Mondays too can be the worst feeling, because you see everyone else going out to join the world, and you feel stuck and depressed that you're being left behind.

Can anyone explain why when people retire they rush out to do voluntary work for nothing whilst when working full time they would strike at the mere rumour of a pay cut.:loopy:

My Da volunteers in Ladbrokes for half the day and The Carlton the other. He's very public spirited and supports the local businesses he says :)

Because working (even unpaid) gives them a reason to get out of bed in the morning, an interest, social intercourse, a feeling of being part of society, making a contribution to the world. All of those and more.

I've heard it said (by someone much wiser than me), that while your working, everyone hates Monday morning and having to get up for work. But for someone who doesn't work (for whatever reason) Mondays too can be the worst feeling, because you see everyone else going out to join the world, and you feel stuck and depressed that you're being left behind.

Succinct and to the point. All I would add is that it's not easy to spend 30, 40, 50 years working and then one day it's gone. Some find it necessary to fill the day still and why the hell not!

Succinct and to the point. All I would add is that it's not easy to spend 30, 40, 50 years working and then one day it's gone. Some find it necessary to fill the day still and why the hell not!

Also, I've heard of many instances where when people have worked all their lives and retire that the sudden change in lifestyle causes major trauma, and they promptly 'pop thir clogs'. I'll probably do some voluntary work when I retire! That's if the govenment actually allow me to at some point before I die!!!! :hihi::hihi:

And if he is on any kind of benefits, he could lose it - thats what the DWP call "notional earnings"

No he's an ex steel worker so he donates his pension there.

He does think his winter fuel payment is a gov bonus for the Cheltenham Gold cup though. :hihi:

Also, I've heard of many instances where when people have worked all their lives and retire that the sudden change in lifestyle causes major trauma, and they promptly 'pop thir clogs'. I'll probably do some voluntary work when I retire! That's if the govenment actually allow me to at some point before I die!!!! :hihi::hihi:

You think they'll allow you to die!

Archived