Voluntary work and retired people

WHAT?????.....Doesn't 'earnings' mean payment? If the work is voluntary, there's no payment! :loopy:

The DWP have a sneaky rule that says if you do voluntary work, and if you didnt do it, they would have to pay someone to do it, they class that as notional earnings, and treat you as receiving payment for it...

They got me on that one last year and I ended up "owing" them nearly £3000 !

And no, im not joking....

The DWP have a sneaky rule that says if you do voluntary work, and if you didnt do it, they would have to pay someone to do it, they class that as notional earnings, and treat you as receiving payment for it...

My GOD....that's utterly bonkers!!!!...I've heard it all now! :rant::rant:

I can vaguely see some sort of logic there, if you're effectively 'doing someone out of a job that they would otherwise have to employ someone to do'. But I think we're talking about voluntary work here, not 'doing someone out of paid employment'

Thats not trolling, thats joking - maybe you should learn to tell the difference !

And by the way, I seem to remember a post you made, where you said you dont have to tell the DWP anything about your voluntary job - I corrected you telling them that you do, and explained the notional earnings thing..

My GOD....that's utterly bonkers!!!!...I've heard it all now! :rant::rant:

I can vaguely see some sort of logic there, if you're effectively 'doing someone out of a job that they would otherwise have to employ someone to do'. But I think we're talking about voluntary work here, not 'doing someone out of paid employment'

Yet this 'government' is talking about sending dolemen out working collecting litter etc.

If this work is needing to be done, then surely it should be organised and paid as work.

Not slave labour as this government is wanting.

That's outrageous!

Are you sure? If so that deserves a thread of its own.... How many people have been caught out by it?

I think this thread has been misunderstood,the point I was making was why do people who when working would contemplate striking when either asked to do more hours for the same pay or to take less pay for for the same hours then when they retire do voluntary work for nothing.

I think this thread has been misunderstood,the point I was making was why do people who when working would contemplate striking when either asked to do more hours for the same pay or to take less pay for for the same hours then when they retire do voluntary work for nothing.

I think the clue is in the word 'volunteer' in as much as people have a choice in doing this work.

Having choices in life is very important to people. Being made to do something you don't want to do leads to resentment.

I also think volunteers feel more appreciated.

Archived