Internet Menus. What are the rules?

A few days ago we had a flyer from a local restaurant. The flyer pointed to the restaurants website which had full menus and prices.

It all seemed very reasonably priced almost cheap in fact, and as I had been told by others that this place served great food but it was just a bit pricey I thought we would give it a try.

We booked and went along. When the menus came it seemed a little on the pricey side but the food was very good indeed.

On arriving home I checked again on the website and prices were generally about 30% cheaper than the actual prices being charged in the restaurant. I does seem like sharp practice even if it is purely down to the website not being updated.

Before anyone asks, no it wasn't a take away memu on line.

I would be inclined to write a polite e-mail / letter to the restaurant saying how much you enjoyed the meal but pointing out the difference between the price in the restaurant and on their website, and say you think this is most likely an oversight on their part and they will be updating the website soon.

If the website is not updated within a few weeks I would inform consumer protection.

Sounds like a good 'ploy' by the restaurant in my view. It clearly works, otherwise you would have pointed it out when you saw the in-house menu. It does seem to be a bit of 'sharp practice' though. Even if it's been done inadvertantly.

Contact Trading Standards?

Why? Genuine question...wouldn't the OP have seen the porices on the menu in the restaurant when they sat down to eat...they could have walked out if they thought the prices were unreasonable....not having a pop..just a discussion.. :)

So it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that the prices charged were different when they got there then?

Well I would imagine so. If the leaflet had been delivered recently and advertised the website it would be normal to assume the prices were current. So finding the prices higher would be a surprise.

I would try what Longcol suggested, then if it is accidental they will change the prices quickly, and hopefully send you an apology.

Why? Genuine question...wouldn't the OP have seen the porices on the menu in the restaurant when they sat down to eat...they could have walked out if they thought the prices were unreasonable....not having a pop..just a discussion.. :)

False advertisement, unless there was a diclaimer on the website...

Maybe prices advertised online were exclusive of VAT and not inclusive?

Archived