Internet Menus. What are the rules?

She'd checked the prices online. Her pals idea of pricey may be different to hers so she checked. They may think £50 for a table of four is expensive while the OP think's it's a bargain. She didn't go on the word of her pals and, after being warned it was pricey, complain. She checked the price online, decided it was within her range and went. To find it was higher than advertised.

We don't know 'cos it hasn't been clarified..you're guessing.. :)

Quite by coincidence I have just organised a meal for a large part of people, and we have all pre-ordered off the restaurants online menu.

One of our friends decided from the menu that he couldn't afford to go. What if the online prices were 30% cheaper and he decided he could afford to go? What then if we were all (16 of us) sat there and realised that the menu prices were considerably more? Get up and go?

I would have produced a smartphone and shown the online menu to the proprietor. I'm a shy type normally, but I certainly would insist that those were the prices I was contracted to paying.

If it was agreed, and the service and food was good, there would be a hefty tip. If not, then we would all have to decide what to do, but I expect we would actually get up and go to the pub.

We don't know 'cos it hasn't been clarified..you're guessing.. :)

I'm not guessing that's how I understood the OP.

It seems to me she had taken every reasonable step to organise a night out, memorising the entire online menu prices isn't reasonable in my opinion. The meal was more expensive than she had budgeted for but it didn't spoil the night so she didn't make a fuss there and then she waited until she could verify the mistake and now is asking if anyone knows if the shop is breaking rules.

Are you reading an ulterior motive in the OP that I'm missing?

Quite by coincidence I have just organised a meal for a large part of people, and we have all pre-ordered off the restaurants online menu.

One of our friends decided from the menu that he couldn't afford to go. What if the online prices were 30% cheaper and he decided he could afford to go? What then if we were all (16 of us) sat there and realised that the menu prices were considerably more? Get up and go?

I would have produced a smartphone and shown the online menu to the proprietor. I'm a shy type normally, but I certainly would insist that those were the prices I was contracted to paying.

I don't disagree with you..the time to complain would have been there and then..but your situation is slightly different in that you've pre booked..did you state the cost with your booking?

She'd checked the prices online. Her pals idea of pricey may be different to hers so she checked. They may think £50 for a table of four is expensive while the OP think's it's a bargain. She didn't go on the word of her pals and, after being warned it was pricey, complain. She checked the price online, decided it was within her range and went. To find it was higher than advertised.

That's about the long and short of it. We expected the price for 4 would be around £55 which would have been great and that was what the website says we should have paid. In the event it was about £17 more than that.

It was annoying but still not too much for the meal and certainly not enough to make you walk out and try to find somewhere else when you've invited friends along. It might however have tipped the balance of whether we would have booked a table or not.

It seems to me she had taken every reasonable step to organise a night out, memorising the entire online menu prices isn't reasonable in my opinion. The meal was more expensive than she had budgeted for but it didn't spoil the night so she didn't make a fuss there and then she waited until she could verify the mistake and now is asking if anyone knows if the shop is breaking rules.

I think one of the posters on here might just be a bit thick TBH.

Nope not at all..I understood her to have seen the menu,thought it was very cheap but her friends told her it was pricey..turned up,saw the in house menu accepted the prices and eaten without complaint or mention of the fact that she thought the meal was more expensive than expected..as I said if the restaurant has done it deliberately then it's wrong,but mistakes happen,on both sides,..it's easier to sort out there and then rather than wait until you get home ..but probably that's just me...just playing DA and having a discussion really.. :)

That's about the long and short of it. We expected the price for 4 would be around £55 which would have been great and that was what the website says we should have paid. In the event it was about £17 more than that.

It was annoying but still not too much for the meal and certainly not enough to make you walk out and try to find somewhere else when you've invited friends along. It might however have tipped the balance of whether we would have booked a table or not.

I think one of the posters on here might just be a bit thick TBH.

There may be more than one of them .. :)

A few days ago we had a flyer from a local restaurant. The flyer pointed to the restaurants website which had full menus and prices.

It all seemed very reasonably priced almost cheap in fact, and as I had been told by others that this place served great food but it was just a bit pricey I thought we would give it a try.

We booked and went along. When the menus came it seemed a little on the pricey side but the food was very good indeed.

On arriving home I checked again on the website and prices were generally about 30% cheaper than the actual prices being charged in the restaurant. I does seem like sharp practice even if it is purely down to the website not being updated.

Before anyone asks, no it wasn't a take away memu on line.

It very much depends if it is their own website or just a link to a generic food site. It sounds very naughty to me.

Archived