Saltburn/Redcar for a holiday?

I read a novel recently which was set in Saltburn. Seemed like a nice place and we're considering spending a few days in that area later this year. Wondered if anyone has comments/advice about the area - good places to stay etc. I understand there's an area round there the army use for training - want to avoid that. Any advice appreciated.

Forum member melthebell who posts on here regularly lives up that way.

20 years since I've been - Saltburn, having been a model town developed by Quakers didn't have a pub - although I think that's now changed. Not a lot to see in Saltburn from what I recall, perhaps base yourself in Staithes so you can visit both Saltburn and say Whitby.

Forum member melthebell who posts on here regularly lives up that way.

20 years since I've been - Saltburn, having been a model town developed by Quakers didn't have a pub - although I think that's now changed. Not a lot to see in Saltburn from what I recall, perhaps base yourself in Staithes so you can visit both Saltburn and say Whitby.

It was pretty much like that when we were last there. There are some pubs around on the outskirts and beach front but I don't recall any in the town.

the missus and me are from that area so let me tell you that saltburn is a lovely place and redcar is a dump. just down the coast from saltburn are staithes, runswick bay and whitby. the n.yorks. moors are also on the doorstep. you can walk on the beach from saltburn to redcar.

I remember some day trips there as land. I remember the pier most of all with amusements on it. You could fish of it then. Went to Redcar too but remember less of it. I'd go to Whitby. More to do, more scenic, harder to park but you can an awful lot on foot. I'd go to saltburn for a day though.

Staiths is a beautiful place, I really like it there and Whitby, I have never been to Saltburn but like the OP I read a novel based there and it did sound nice.

Many years ago my dad went to a convalecence home there and said it was very quiet, not much to do and very very steep.

I read a novel recently which was set in Saltburn. Seemed like a nice place and we're considering spending a few days in that area later this year. Wondered if anyone has comments/advice about the area - good places to stay etc. I understand there's an area round there the army use for training - want to avoid that. Any advice appreciated.

try asearch like" self catering saltburn" there are lots of places and it is a lovely area. by the way what is the book title and author?

the missus and me are from that area so let me tell you that saltburn is a lovely place and redcar is a dump. just down the coast from saltburn are staithes, runswick bay and whitby. the n.yorks. moors are also on the doorstep. you can walk on the beach from saltburn to redcar.

We were blinkered Yorkshire folk who thought the east coast stopped at Whitby, until one day we drove further up. Saltburn-by-the-Sea is an absolute gem. A town of two halves, a clean and tidy town centre on the cliff top, and a nice seaside area down the hill. I would stay there, and visit Staithes and Runswick etc on days out.

try asearch like" self catering saltburn" there are lots of places and it is a lovely area. by the way what is the book title and author?

Sorry, can't remember title/author but if I find the book, I'll let you know.

Archived