Do you think we could populate another planet

What planet do you think mankind could populate.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What planet do you think mankind could populate.

• Mars
    • Jupiter
    • Saturn
    • Pluto
    • Mercury
    • Or go intergalactic

It's possible in theory that we could colonise another planet, but it depends on a few things, actually locating one that is suitable, we haven't done that yet. And engineering a way to get there, we aren't even close to developing the technology to get us to another solar system, not even one that is close by.
Between those two, we also need to deal with the muscle wastage that space travel causes

Between those two, we also need to deal with the muscle wastage that space travel causes

That might end up being a negligible problem. Any ship large enough to send out a colonising group, would probably be so large that you could generate artificial gravity by spinning it on its axis.

How you block out cosmic rays to prevent the colonists all being fried to death, I don't know. Laboratory-strength magnetic fields? Or would those disrupt any machinery inside the ship?

That might end up being a negligible problem. Any ship large enough to send out a colonising group, would probably be so large that you could generate artificial gravity by spinning it on its axis.

How you block out cosmic rays to prevent the colonists all being fried to death, I don't know. Laboratory-strength magnetic fields? Or would those disrupt any machinery inside the ship?

Perhaps you're thinking about it in the wrong way? We could send a much smaller unmanned craft to a hospitable planet which sets up a teleporting reconstruction machine linked back to one on Earth and just beam ourselves across space as individual atoms- I'm thinking more Stargate than Star Trek.

Perhaps you're thinking about it in the wrong way? We could send a much smaller unmanned craft to a hospitable planet which sets up a teleporting reconstruction machine linked back to one on Earth and just beam ourselves across space as individual atoms- I'm thinking more Stargate than Star Trek.

Fair point. I'm thinking about existing technology and slightly more advanced. If teleportation ever becomes possible, we can do just about anything.

So far as I know, existing knowledge of quantum mechanics implies that it never will be; but "existing knowledge" has turned out to be drastically wrong in saying that things would never be possible, quite often in the past.

Cheaper to clean up our own planet.

I think it’s more to do with the size of ours not being big enough for potentially future population. Terraforming wouldn’t be the expensive part; it’s the getting there and back that needs making cheaper and faster.

Fair point. I'm thinking about existing technology and slightly more advanced. If teleportation ever becomes possible, we can do just about anything.

So far as I know, existing knowledge of quantum mechanics implies that it never will be; but "existing knowledge" has turned out to be drastically wrong in saying that things would never be possible, quite often in the past.

Apparently Scientists successfully teleported an atoms in 2004.

Archived