Do you think we could populate another planet

What planet do you think mankind could populate.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What planet do you think mankind could populate.

• Mars
    • Jupiter
    • Saturn
    • Pluto
    • Mercury
    • Or go intergalactic

Some years ago Mr C and I went to The Lyceum to see a talk by Patrick Moore, it was really interesting and at the end he had a Q&A session and one man asked him if we would ever colonise another planet and he said that Mars would be the planet we'd colonise, not actually to live there but for scientific reasons. He said he felt that we would have to build a glass structure and purify the air and then maybe scientist would be able to live there for short periods in like a shift system and initially cultivate plant life.

He went into far more detail but it was interesting to listen to.

That will be something like this Biosphere 2

We'd be scorched to a cinder on Mercury. There's no way we'd colonise a gas giant like Saturn or Jupiter, apart from there being nothing to stand on, we'd be crushed by the huge gravity. Pluto is ridiculously far away, and cold to even contemplate.

What happened to including Venus? Mars isn't really a possibilty due to no atmosphere, and no magnetic core to to keep harmful radiation away, so we'd all die of cancers within a few short years.

The best bet would be a planet in another solar system. The problem with that is its just too far away. We're stuck with Earth for now.

We'd be scorched to a cinder on Mercury. There's no way we'd colonise a gas giant like Saturn or Jupiter, apart from there being nothing to stand on, we'd be crushed by the huge gravity. Pluto is ridiculously far away, and cold to even contemplate.

What happened to including Venus? Mars isn't really a possibilty due to no atmosphere, and no magnetic core to to keep harmful radiation away, so we'd all die of cancers within a few short years.

The best bet would be a planet in another solar system. The problem with that is its just too far away. We're stuck with Earth for now.

Mars as an atmosphere which is mainly CO2 and we can already make inert green house gasses that have the same effect as our magnetic field; they block radiation and apparently have no effect on life other than to cause climate change.

I think it’s more to do with the size of ours not being big enough for potentially future population. Terraforming wouldn’t be the expensive part; it’s the getting there and back that needs making cheaper and faster.

Hahahahaha

Terraforming wouldn't be expensive? We can't even manipulate or even really understand our own meteorological system and ecosystem, but you think creating a new one from scratch would be easier than flying to mars?

I think it would be a one way flight though, why would anyone need to come back?

We will have the technology to populate mars long before we can get there. 600 years if we can travel at the speed of light.

I'm confused, why would it take so long to get to Mars, it generally takes between months and years depending on relative orbits when it's launched.

Hahahahaha

Terraforming wouldn't be expensive? We can't even manipulate or even really understand our own meteorological system and ecosystem, but you think creating a new one from scratch would be easier than flying to mars?

I think it would be a one way flight though, why would anyone need to come back?

Where did I say that it would be easier than flying to mars? we can already do that, but not at an affordable price, so everything than can be made cheaply on earth would cost far too much to transport to mars.

People would need to come back because terraforming would take centuries.

Archived