Steering wheel lock defective& ignition issues 2006 Vw Passat

I was experiencing starting issues with my passat. After several attempts it finally started. A day or so later, I got the steering wheeling lock defective warning. When I got to my destination, I called my dealer and inquired about the problem, at this point the light was out. The dealer told me not to worry if the light was no longer on. Since then, I have had problems starting the car. I took the car in to the dealer thinking I needed a new battery. The battery checked out ok. I am still having problem with the car not starting. I looked up on google steering wheel lock defective vw 2006 Passat. It seems that there are thousands of cars out there with this same problem. My car only has 88,000 miles but I am out of warranty. I called my dealer and asked if they have had any complaints. They said they haven't heard of any. The same goes for VW of uk . How could thousands of people be having this issue and the dealers and VW of uk not knowing a thing? I called VW of uk again and they told me to take the car in for a check, and if there is a problem, they MIGHT (not etched in stone) assist in the payment of the repair. I told them that I currently own three Passats, which were all bought new and serviced at VW, not to mention all the VWs I have owned over the years. I know for myself, if they don't take of the problem at 100% their cost, I WILL NOT ever buy another Volkswagen again. Some people are experiencing their cars shutting down at a high rate of speed. Hardly seems safe to me.

has any else had this problem???????????

Not sure if its the same but my brother had a similar problem on a late 90s Polo. It turned out a whole new ignition system was needed as the immobiliser had packed in & stopped recognising the key.
Same happened to me with my brand new Polo in 1999, some years later,we got a Seat Ibiza,they had just been taken over by VW,and the same happened on a few occasions with that.

Steering lock, ignition problem is fairly common, usually ECSL unit failing. Engines cutting out at speed is injector failure on the 2 litre diesel with piezo injectors. VW are currently recalling all these vehicles for injector replacement.

• 3 months later...
I was experiencing starting issues with my passat. After several attempts it finally started. A day or so later, I got the steering wheeling lock defective warning. When I got to my destination, I called my dealer and inquired about the problem, at this point the light was out. The dealer told me not to worry if the light was no longer on. Since then, I have had problems starting the car. I took the car in to the dealer thinking I needed a new battery. The battery checked out ok. I am still having problem with the car not starting. I looked up on google steering wheel lock defective vw 2006 Passat. It seems that there are thousands of cars out there with this same problem. My car only has 88,000 miles but I am out of warranty. I called my dealer and asked if they have had any complaints. They said they haven't heard of any. The same goes for VW of uk . How could thousands of people be having this issue and the dealers and VW of uk not knowing a thing? I called VW of uk again and they told me to take the car in for a check, and if there is a problem, they MIGHT (not etched in stone) assist in the payment of the repair. I told them that I currently own three Passats, which were all bought new and serviced at VW, not to mention all the VWs I have owned over the years. I know for myself, if they don't take of the problem at 100% their cost, I WILL NOT ever buy another Volkswagen again. Some people are experiencing their cars shutting down at a high rate of speed. Hardly seems safe to me.

has any else had this problem???????????

i have the same problem with vw passat oct.05 and when i rang vw Ireland they said that car was out of warranty and not covered.? have to bring it to vw dealer to be tested? seems to me vw not taking responsibilty for common fault..... might try small claims court? any ideas would welcome feedback maybe to be used as evendince that its major fault with all similar models fsi. auto.. always thought German technology was the way to go ...not anymore????????????????????

VW will not pay for the whole cost, it doesn't matter how many Passats you have. Your car has done nearly 90k miles and is 6 years old. For them to agree to pay part cost is IMO pretty good. Saying that the only time I bought a VW from a main dealer the car was excellent but the customer service certainly wasn't.

if vw was willing to split cost . with this that would seem fair.. providing it wouldn`t become an recuring problem as it would maen passing it on to future owners of the car.. to me it seems a healt and safety issue as my wife got lock in the car when all the power went while she tried to start it and with the central locking on with no power she was unable to get out til the power came back, as you can imagine this was quite frightening...

• 4 weeks later...

got a 55 vw passat same problem , 55 k on the clock won't start, keeps clicking after 15 mins starts, talked to dealers first they say not heard a thing then all of a sudden they know what your talking about,common fault with passat one dealer wants £500 another wants £356 it pays to shop around , if hassle the dealer they may get in touch with vw and get some more off. Thing is vw are aware of this problem but because we tooooooo soft they won't do anything, bottom line is car is in the shop and i've got to pay £356 , life sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks VW

Archived