On line vs high st ..a future problem

can anyone tell me please their thoughts on the on line vs high st argument,,the way i see it is this/

progress means moving forward, therefore on line shopping.. now we see in the news that the high streets are suffering because of this....ok .thats obvious.

now its unlikely the high street can compete with on line, as i think they may have lower overheads,(working from home) (or working with no staff) (or even working from cheaper industrial premises)...so if on line is popular with the younger generation and the population in general, then i think the high street will become more derelict, (grafitti covered) as people are put off renting shop units to earn a living...........so would it be better to go more on line and see high street shops suffer ,(build houses instead on the shop land) or find a way of filling the empty shop units to have a full high street, either way,,,,no citizen of the uk wants their high streets /malls to be empty run down places......:huh: how do both businesses win

no citizen of the uk wants their high streets /malls to be empty run down places......:huh: how do both businesses win

By not competing on price. High street stores will need to provide better customer care, support and assistance in order to justify the higher costs.

Or go along the PC World / Curry's route of telling you you need to buy a widgetythingamadongle to go with your product or it won't work, at a cost of £900 (despite it being optional and available online for £5). In other words, playing off of customers' naivety.

Rents must be lowered.

rents may or may not need to be lowered

however.....

an internet business just needs a warehouse and a spotty oik to put the wrong item in a box, address it to a random person and give it to the parcelforce man.

it's unlikely that a real real shop will ever be able to get to low overheads like that unless of course you like shopping in warehouses.

Archived