Why is CHEAPEST so important to Sheffielders?

DerbyTup

On so many threads on here, people are asking where is the CHEAPEST this or other, or, they are complaining about things being EXPENSIVE.

I don't see the word "VALUE" used very much at all.

People don't seem to be interested in what is the best VALUE for money, only what is CHEAPEST.

In my experience, the CHEAPEST is often not the best VALUE and may even turn out to be more EXPENSIVE. BUY CHEAP - BUY TWICE as my grandmother, the Duchess of Kent used to say.

So, what is this fascination with finding the CHEAPEST of anything available rather than the best QUALITY or best VALUE?

Could anyone entertain the thought that cheapest is not best maybe?

I often think that people confuse price and value. In some cases you might not want an expensive item that will last a long time but you have to consider if it's going to turn out to be a false economy buying something 'cheap'.

A friend had a dog and fed it 'cheap' dog food. We fed our dogs 'expensive' dog food. Our dogs only needed a cup of food for each meal but theirs needed a great big bowl per meal. When we worked out how much we both spent of dog food per month our 'expensive' food worked out much cheaper!

Maybe the economy has something to do with it. When people are short on money it is more difficult to consider the value you will get for something. Foresight becomes clouded and people go for the cheapest things they can regardless of how long they will last. If you only have £10 in you bank, then you can only spend £10 regardless of how false the economy is on the item you are purchasing

Good point!

Although a couple of years back, folks who'd been buying cheap petrol from Morrison's and Asda had problems with their cars conking out due to muck in the petrol or summat.

I always buy the cheapest fuel I can tbh. I fill up at a little garage in Heanor, near Derby. Diesel is 135.9 a litre there. That's cheaper than anything in Sheffield.

It is a 42 mile round trip to get there though - which costs me about £10 in fuel, but I think it's worth it!

Would love to know where this garage is. I live at Codnor and the cheapest I can find is at Bellinis at 138.9.

Guest busdriver1
Nothing wrong in being frugal.

But there is a difference between being frugal wich is admirable and being an out and out tight*rse though.

Because native Sheffielder's are a bunch of tight arse thicko's. For some bizarre reason they are proud of it?

Little bit harsh i would have said to be honest.

Just because we dont want to pay over the odds dosent mean we are thick, some of use dont have money to be throwing away!!

Archived