France loses AAA Credit Rating. Britain doesn't. WE have something right.

It seems Britain is fast becoming the investors safe haven of choice as yet more European economies get the thumbs down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16552623

France has lost its top AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's and eight other eurozone governments have also been downgraded by the ratings agency.

Italy, Spain, Cyprus and Portugal were cut two notches, with the latter two given "junk" ratings. Germany kept its AAA rating, and with a stable outlook.

S&P blamed the failure of eurozone leaders to deal with the crisis, or even diagnose its causes correctly.

Rumours of S&P's move prompted stock markets to fall earlier in the day.

Misdiagnosis

Austria, like France has lost its top AAA rating, and been downgraded to AA+. Its economy exports a lot to recession-struck Italy, while its banks are facing losses on subsidiaries they own in financially troubled Hungary.

S&P's rating of Italy - currently at the epicentre of the crisis - has been cut two notches from A to BBB+.

Spain was also cut two notches from AA- to A, as was Portugal, whose rating fell from BBB- to a "junk" rating of BB - indicating a very high level of risk for lenders.

Didn't S&P give AAA ratings to vast pools of toxic debt, which started the whole financial meltdown back in 08?

I don't know that they did. Perhaps you could provide a link to back up your claim.

I don't see what difference it makes to anything though. The credit ratings are what investers take note of and ultimately what governs the rates governments pay on their debts. I am happy that the UK has a AAA rating and low repayments whilst those that have lost their AAA rating appear to be upset and have repayment rates spiraling out of control.

It seems Britain is fast becoming the investors safe haven of choice as yet more European economies get the thumbs down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16552623

France has lost its top AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's and eight other eurozone governments have also been downgraded by the ratings agency.

Italy, Spain, Cyprus and Portugal were cut two notches, with the latter two given "junk" ratings. Germany kept its AAA rating, and with a stable outlook.

S&P blamed the failure of eurozone leaders to deal with the crisis, or even diagnose its causes correctly.

Rumours of S&P's move prompted stock markets to fall earlier in the day.

Misdiagnosis

Austria, like France has lost its top AAA rating, and been downgraded to AA+. Its economy exports a lot to recession-struck Italy, while its banks are facing losses on subsidiaries they own in financially troubled Hungary.

S&P's rating of Italy - currently at the epicentre of the crisis - has been cut two notches from A to BBB+.

Spain was also cut two notches from AA- to A, as was Portugal, whose rating fell from BBB- to a "junk" rating of BB - indicating a very high level of risk for lenders.

Will " Michellin "stars be replaced by Dunlop because we are tyred of the french.

I don't know that they did. Perhaps you could provide a link to back up your claim.

I probably could.

But then I could probably find a link to back up the assertion that Paris is the capital of France. I just don't really see the need.

But hey, I'm feeling generous - here fill your boots - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=standard+and+poor+toxic+debt

I probably could.

But then I could probably find a link to back up the assertion that Paris is the capital of France. I just don't really see the need.

But hey, I'm feeling generous - here fill your boots - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=standard+and+poor+toxic+debt

I see you can't provide a link after all.

Never mind it's good that we only pay around 2.9% on money we owe as a nation whilst Italy pays around 7%. There is a reason for that.

Archived