France loses AAA Credit Rating. Britain doesn't. WE have something right.

Our outlook is negative at present but we do still have our AAA rating.

France is doing us a lot of favors, by enacting all the policies the likes of Ed Balls and Miliband would like the UK to do, and showing the world how wrong they are.

You cannot borrow your way out of debt.

Lets hope as many French Millionaires decide to come to the UK as possible.

Our outlook is negative at present but we do still have our AAA rating.

France is doing us a lot of favors, by enacting all the policies the likes of Ed Balls and Miliband would like the UK to do, and showing the world how wrong they are.

You cannot borrow your way out of debt.

Lets hope as many French Millionaires decide to come to the UK as possible.

What, so they don't have to tax to us? If it was that great, why do the british have tax haven all around the world?

I thought the UK was overcrowded anyway? Nailing with tax would be a good way to reduce the population.

What, so they don't have to tax to us? If it was that great, why do the british have tax haven all around the world?

I thought the UK was overcrowded anyway? Nailing with tax would be a good way to reduce the population.

yes they would pay tax to us, but at the rate set here rather than the rate set by France.

So why does the UK have people allover the world trying to avoid paying tax?

every country has these people, its the proximity of the UK and Belgium that makes us a option for rich French people moving here. You can get from London to Paris in a few hours.

It's quite funny to read about the various French ministers, the Prime Minister first amongst them, who have poured vitriol and scorn on Depardieu, now trying to backtrack and do their "teflon" act this morning.

It's not quite going how they must have expected it to go: there's massive support for Depardieu in online environments and from many commentators today :D

So why does the UK have people allover the world trying to avoid paying tax?
Up until earlier this year, many (most) of the fleeing French were still OK with taxation as it was, somewhere between 50 and 60%. Hollande has now hiked it up to 75%+, beyond the economical point of no return and well into confiscatory rates. So they're coming to our and Belgian/Swiss/Luxemburger greener pastures. An entirely predictable turn of events, which was indeed predicted time and again every time Hollande and his team were making corresponding electoral noises about it. No surprise whatsoever, and serves them f*****-right-ha-ha-ha-ha if you ask me (Ok, don't :D).

The fleeing Brits are unhappy with a 50%+ taxation rate, so they're leaving for still greener pastures.

That merry go round will run so long as there exists a country with a taxation rate lower than most others, and which still provides a comparable standard of living (proximity, security, amenities, infrastructure, etc, etc).

Don't kid yourself: in current times, tax rates are prime weapons of economic warfare, and (s)he at a nation's helm who understands the Laffer curve best, wins. Simple as.

every country has these people, its the proximity of the UK and Belgium that makes us a option for rich French people moving here. You can get from London to Paris in a few hours.

Can't see many French movie to the UK because they absolutely hate the us and it still doesn't answer the question why British people move their stuff abroad to avoid paying UK tax. That said, people will still try and avoid tax if it was at 1%

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 18:51 ----------

It's quite funny to read about the various French ministers, the Prime Minister first amongst them, who have poured vitriol and scorn on Depardieu, now trying to backtrack and do their "teflon" act this morning.

It's not quite going how they must have expected it to go: there's massive support for Depardieu in online environments and from many commentators today :D

Up until earlier this year, many (most) of the fleeing French were still OK with taxation as it was, somewhere between 50 and 60%. Hollande has now hiked it up to 75%+, beyond the economical point of no return and well into confiscatory rates. So they're coming to our and Belgian/Swiss/Luxemburger greener pastures. An entirely predictable turn of events, which was indeed predicted time and again every time Hollande and his team were making corresponding electoral noises about it. No surprise whatsoever, and serves them f*****-right-ha-ha-ha-ha if you ask me (Ok, don't :D).

The fleeing Brits are unhappy with a 50%+ taxation rate, so they're leaving for still greener pastures.

That merry go round will run so long as there exists a country with a taxation rate lower than most others, and which still provides a comparable standard of living (proximity, security, amenities, infrastructure, etc, etc).

Don't kid yourself: in current times, tax rates are prime weapons of economic warfare, and (s)he at a nation's helm who understands the Laffer curve best, wins. Simple as.

I'd say bye then, better not let the door slam their backsides on the way out

It's difficult to stereotype 'the rich' but a lot of these people don't have a great deal to offer their host nations, especial the ones that are prepared to play one country against another, they don't deserve any citizenship.

Many of these vile money grabbers are little more than welfare scroungers by proxy anyway. Admittedly, I don't know anything about Gerard Depardieu or the great national contribution this man has made to France to warrant his arrogant outburst but if I was French I'd want to see his passport shredded and his citizen status removed.

Our AAA status is looking very tenuous despite Osborne's slash and burn solution, the downgrade is I fear in the post already.

Archived