France loses AAA Credit Rating. Britain doesn't. WE have something right.

If this thread degenerates again into personal attacks and off topic drivel there will be suspensions issued for those indulging themselves in such childish behaviour. Discuss the subject please.

Why is it ludicrous?

If you were going to buy a car and you wanted a car with a petrol engine, 4 passenger doors, 5 seats and a manual transmission, then there are plenty on the market.

You could (if you really wished) write to everybody who had purchased a particular model of car and ask them about their experiences.

Or you could ask a friend.

Or you could read a report in a Car Magazine.

Or you could test drive a car and make up your mind solely on the basis of a few miles experience.

Sometimes the companies which publish road test reports get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes Road test reports disagree with one another.

They too have gained widespread acceptance. Should they be banned because they sometimes get it wrong? If you were a car manufacturer and one of the cars you make was slated in one or more road test reports, would you petition to have road test reports banned?

You might, but I doubt you'd get very far. You'd probably do better if you improved your manufacturing standards, recalled cars which had problems and were seen to be improving. It would cost you money, but it would (hopefully) be worth it.

The British government has taken steps to reduce the deficit and to boost confidence in the UK economy. The actions they've taken are causing a lot of financial pain for a lot of people, but - it seems - confidence in the UK has remained strong. That confidence may (or may not) be justified, but it is there - and that's why the UK still has a AAA rating.

You're comparing chalk and cheese. A car is a tangible item that can be inspected by experts who largely adhere to a common set of standards. Even a layman can make a reasonable assessment of the condition of and likely future of a car.

What I think is ludicrous is that the ratings agencies employ economists and researchers that are hardly on the ball or at the top of their game, yet seasoned economists like Roubini, Cable who consistently warned and warned before 2008 were not taken seriously. The ludicrous part of it is that the rating agencies themselves (don't make the mistake of thinking I am arguing against any kind of assessment/analysis regimem) have a very, very poor track record recently and that so much trust is placed in them.

Well the coalition inherited a £1 trillion debt and a deficit between tax revenue and spending of £175 billion. I presume that you feel the cuts haven't been deep enough. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Ah, so you're saying the UK caused the debt in France? How about the USA, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portigal, Spain and the rest? This is a global crisis and has nothing to do with UK debt.

reported by who?

The rumour started around October last year, if you google it there are loads of reports that suggest that they started to print Deutschmarks. It would make sense if they were, even of they were committed to the Euro, there has to be a point where they'll consider leaving it.

Ah, so you're saying the UK caused the debt in France? How about the USA, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portigal, Spain and the rest? This is a global crisis and has nothing to do with UK debt.

I think you are saying that. Each country spent the money that built up its own debt. That's why China has none and the USA $15 trillion.

The recession is a totally different thing. That is what caused the downturn in our economy and if the last government hadn't spent our entire rainy day fund we might have had the cash to weather the storm without making the massive cuts in order to maintain our countries credit worthy status.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279242/Liam-Byrnes-note-new-Treasury-Im-sorry-tell-money.html

Labour Minister's parting shot: Dear Chief Secretary, I'm sorry to tell you there is no money... kind regards and good luck

I think you are saying that. Each country spent the money that built up its own debt. That's why China has none and the USA $15 trillion.

The recession is a totally different thing. That is what caused the downturn in our economy and if the last government hadn't spent our entire rainy day fund we might have had the cash to weather the storm without making the massive cuts in order to maintain our countries credit worthy status.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279242/Liam-Byrnes-note-new-Treasury-Im-sorry-tell-money.html

Labour Minister's parting shot: Dear Chief Secretary, I'm sorry to tell you there is no money... kind regards and good luck

didnt the last labourgov inherit the debt from the tories ?

Archived