Price needed for selling silver

I had a load consisting of 4 rings, quite a heavy mens chain, a few broken chains of my own, a bracelet, broken and odd earrings and a load of earring backs, which the jewellers I mentioned above said was worth £5 (a year ago) and advised me to hold onto it, particularly the mens chain, as it only had a broken lobster clasp... he then replaced the clasp for me for free and told me to keep it :)

I had a load consisting of 4 rings, quite a heavy mens chain, a few broken chains of my own, a bracelet, broken and odd earrings and a load of earring backs, which the jewellers I mentioned above said was worth £5 (a year ago) and advised me to hold onto it, particularly the mens chain, as it only had a broken lobster clasp... he then replaced the clasp for me for free and told me to keep it :)

He must have fancied you:love::love::love:

Have a look at ebay, under silver scrap, you might be surprised how much it really goes for.

If you Photograph the hallmarks well, the dealers may see something they like and pay good money.

I buy little bits of silver myself and i know they pay roughly double the scrap value on many of the lots.

:)

Just according to the theory I learnt in High school, the gold and silver both have an obvious property ---softer than many other metal material.

I have a 24ct gold ring. It is so soft that I can bend it easily though it is as thick and wide as normal gold wedding ring.

I don't know what does the '925' hallmark mean, I think the sterling silver is low purity. A friend bought an silver chain 15 years ago, it was about £10! It should worth much more than that now. Her is much softer than what I bought sterling silver one. Mine was bought last year for £15 pound.

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver. Worth about 50p/gram at the moment.

Investment silver is worth more. Basic 1oz 99.9% pure coins change hands for about £25 a piece minimum

If you have a leightweight silver item like a chain if it is only a few grams in weight it is only going to be worth a few quid at most.

Incidently, beware of 'Scrap for gold' type businesses where you send your gold away in an envelope and they send you a price. They're mainly scams.

Take any items to a jeweller for valuations. This applies to silver too.

Sound advice.

28 grams (1oz) of 925 silver is:

£13.18

from http://www.scrapgolduk.co.uk/scrap-silver-calculator

Beware, not all silver people own is scrap silver. Some is high purity investment grade, i.e. coins. Even coins that might not seem to be worth much can actually be reasonably valuable. Some British coins in circulation pre-1920 were sterling silver. From 1920-46 some were 50% pure silver. For example a good 1944 florin (10p these days) can be worth upwards of £6, way above the actual value of the silver content.

I have a few valuation guides if anybody has any old British coins.

By the way 1oz is 31.1g. The correct price for 1oz sterling silver on that site is £14.60. Not bad at all.

Archived