Financial advice in marriage needed please.

Thank you all for the advice. My husband is not a heavy drinker/ alcoholic, sorry if I made it sound that way. He is just unable to comprehend budgeting money. He'll spend money on rubbish when our bills are due and we're short. Some months it's not a problem because we have enough for him to do what he wants, but others we really can't afford it but he'll go do it anyway. We don't have any children, thank god otherwise I would go to extremes to make sure this didn't happen. I already have a separate account for the bills but if he wants money he'll just make me take it out and give it to him. I've had countless conversations with him about what will happen the time when I don't manage to pull us through and he listens at the time, but the next time he wants something he magically forget these conversations.

The suggestion about giving him a weekly budget wouldn't work for us because he likes to feel in control and he would feel patronised, which would cause more problems...

He's not depressed. He may be a little underwhelmed with life in general but he does a job he enjoys, otherwise he wouldn't do, after all he's certainly not doing it for the money because he isn't making any. We have a good relationship apart from the financial issues.

How does he 'make you' take it out and give it to him?

Is he bullying you or threatening you - or are you simply letting him because you haven't the nerve to just say a firm 'no' and stick to it?

Archived