100 years on from the Titanic disaster it seems we haven't learned much.

Yes but if it had been in deeper water were it was supposed to be it wouldn't have hit the sea bed, so wouldn't have toppled over or capsized.

Yes, very good.

Shame you wernt the Officer of the Watch.

And God help that man, come the inquiry.

I like how the OP says...

100 years on from the Titanic disaster it seems we haven't learned much.

... but then goes on to say:

Well I would have thought a passenger liner hitting rocks should not capsize and sink in this day and age.

I was under the impression that one of the factors in that caused, and the scale of the Titanic disaster, was people saying that in that day and age, passenger liners hitting icebergs should not capsize and sink.

Just to point out that the ship hit the rock further out from shore. It's current proximity to the shore is the result of the crew steering the ship closer after the crippling impact. It's said that they were attempting to reach the safety of the nearby harbour.

Capt Schettino told maritime investigators that charts showed he was in waters deep enough to navigate and that he had struck an unidentified rocky outcrop, ripping a 160ft gash in the hull.

He was quoted as saying: "The area was safe, The water was deep enough. We struck a stretch of rock that was not marked on the charts. As far as I am concerned were in perfectly navigable waters. We shouldn't have had this contact."

Once he realised how serious the damage was he immediately tried to change course and head for the safety of Giglio harbour. He is being investigated alongside his 1st officer Ciro Ambrosio.

Fathers desperate to be with their families ignored the order that women and children should go first.

Quite right, in these days of gender equality, it's every man (and woman) for themselves.

It would have been incredibly patronizing and sexist of them to allow women into the lifeboats first.

Archived