100 years on from the Titanic disaster it seems we haven't learned much.

It will be interesting to see what was going on here.

Why were they sailing so close to shore, at what appears to be high speed is one question.

Or were they manouevering close to shore, and lost control is another.

Whatever, the cruise industry will take a hammer this summer if good answers are not forthcoming.

Stick with P&O you can trust those boys.

Didnt P&O run the ferry that sunk years ago.

Rotterdam to Zebrugga(sp) i think.

Someone left the bow doors open and before you know it, loads dead and missing.

Didnt P&O run the ferry that sunk years ago.

Rotterdam to Zebrugga(sp) i think.

Someone left the bow doors open and before you know it, loads dead and missing.

It was owned and operated by Townsend Thoresen, bought by Peninsular and Orient in 1987 shortly after the disaster.

And it was on the Zeebrugge - Dover Route.

I remember sailing past her on The Spirit ... as she lay on her side in the water. Sobering sight.

Quite right, in these days of gender equality, it's every man (and woman) for themselves.

It would have been incredibly patronizing and sexist of them to allow women into the lifeboats first.

Why?

Women are physically weaker, and in this sort of incident I can't see many feminists refusing to hop into a lifeboat with their kids.

It was owned and operated by Townsend Thoresen, bought by Peninsular and Orient in 1987 shortly after the disaster.

And it was on the Zeebrugge - Dover Route.

I remember sailing past her on The Spirit ...

Thanks for the corrections :)

I was quite young when it happened but remember it being a really big event.

A very sad loss of life.

Many of the news stories do claim that passengers say he left before everyone was safe, and the fact he was definitely off the ship whilst rescuers where on it and finding servicers would mean it as some truth in it.

The captain and crew had no real need to leave the ship because they must have known it couldn’t sink because it was on the sea bed. They should have used their knowledge of the ship to look for people below deck.

At least an British girl working as a dancer stayed on board to help people.:)

The same happened a while ago when the Greek liner Oceanos sank. The crew fought past old ladies into the lifeboats, and the captain was in the second rescue helicopter. He later said in inteview: "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay."

The same happened a while ago when the Greek liner Oceanos sank. The crew fought past old ladies into the lifeboats, and the captain was in the second rescue helicopter. He later said in inteview: "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay."

Nice :oSomeone with that attitude shouldn't be the captain of a ship.

You'd be right to find that hard to believe because it isn't true.

So all the passengers that saw him cowering under a blanket in a lifeboat that was launched before everyone was off the ship are wrong are they?

I think they'll all be glad that someone sat in Sheffield, 1200 miles away, is correcting that for them.

Quotes from various news sources:

An Italian Coastguard boss said Schettino was seen on land while the evacuation was ongoing.

Commander Francesco Paolillo said last night that officers had urged the captain to return to his ship to honour his obligation to stay aboard until everyone else was off but he ignored them. Mr Paolillo said: “We did our duty to remind Francesco Schettino of his obligation.”

But witnesses say Schettino abandoned the liner an hour after the crash – hours before it was fully evacuated.

A French couple said they had seen the captain in a lifeboat, covered by a blanket, before all passengers were off the liner.

Archived