Thai Brides, whats your views

I watched a programme on this the other night. I was interested because I couldn't understand the thought processes of the women who put themselves up to be a mail order bride. They interviewed a few women who seemed hopeful and excited at the prospect of finding a western husband. The reasons they gave were that western men are supposedly better husbands; more romantic, faithful, family orientated. They seemed to be craving romance and stability rather than money and a visa. They didn't seem to be that fussed with age or looks, as long as their husband treated them with care and affection. I believe it's perfectly viable that these women can genuinely be happy in these circumstances, even with a less attractive husband.

The thing I completely abhor is the men who order one of these Thai brides and then mistreat them. Hopefully this is rare but i don't know the statistics, and neither does anyone else as a lot of it probably goes unreported.

Its not always just about money for thai women. In traditional thai culture the women would be expected to live with, look after and care for her husbands parents - the mother in law always wears the trousers in the household. The wife just waits for her turn to be the mother in law, and woe betide her if she can't reproduce. There is also the perception that western men are less prone to domestic violence, I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not.

Sometimes it genuinely is love!

I watched a programme on this the other night. I was interested because I couldn't understand the thought processes of the women who put themselves up to be a mail order bride. They interviewed a few women who seemed hopeful and excited at the prospect of finding a western husband. The reasons they gave were that western men are supposedly better husbands; more romantic, faithful, family orientated. They seemed to be craving romance and stability rather than money and a visa. They didn't seem to be that fussed with age or looks, as long as their husband treated them with care and affection. I believe it's perfectly viable that these women can genuinely be happy in these circumstances, even with a less attractive husband.

The thing I completely abhor is the men who order one of these Thai brides and then mistreat them. Hopefully this is rare but i don't know the statistics, and neither does anyone else as a lot of it probably goes unreported.

as for as craving

security is the one thing that comes up alot in conversation over there.

I see alot of expats and thais very happy over there ,they allways seem to be having a good time .

the russians,arabs,and middle easterners seem to be the ones who go for the personal slaves

Its not always just about money for thai women. In traditional thai culture the women would be expected to live with, look after and care for her husbands parents - the mother in law always wears the trousers in the household. The wife just waits for her turn to be the mother in law, and woe betide her if she can't reproduce. There is also the perception that western men are less prone to domestic violence, I have no way of knowing whether this is true or not.

Sometimes it genuinely is love!

I've got to say a lot of thai guys really are pigs, especially when they've been drinking I"ve lost count the number of times I 've seem them knocking girls arounnd in bars and clubs... locals just seem to eccept it never bat an eye lid when it happens

something like 50% of western men that do marry Thai women, they're bargirls or women like waitresses that work in the hazy area between 'legit' and prostititution. They have to be. On the whole, only people that work with foreign tourists in Thailand have any conversational English worth mentioning. English speaking skills in Thailand are still very poor, and ordinary women with no contact with tourists, i.e. in 'ordinary' jobs, have very little language skill. More educated Thai women can tend to speak better English, but these are much less likely to end up with some slob form Coal Aston than a semi-literate Isan girl.

most of the Thai women I've met in England tend to be from the poorer areas of the country, the north or northeast.

in the Philippines, much poorer than Thailand, it's far easier to meet and interract with 'ordinary' women, just because English is so widely spoken by comparison. Far fewer Filipina brides of foreigners are bargirls than Thai ones.

Made-up statistic alert.

you obviously have'nt got a clue from a statement like that .

callipo is more or less spot on with is post .

in fact I think he's being deliberately conservative when he says 50%.

for some insane reason the corrupt backward thinking thai goverment decided to stop teaching english in schools over there a few years ago.

a part form creating jobs for farangs it did little to help the local kids.

a bigger circle than you mate, seeing as your imformation comes from your mates.

btw he did'nt say just "prostitutes."

the love thing,, yes it never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for farangs to fall in love on a two week holiday in phuket ,but their own women would'nt look at them side ways ...:suspect:

Archived