Middlewood Hospital..again.

Tizz

I apologise in advance as I realise there are many threads on here already, but I have read through many of them (and googled lots) but don't seem to be able to find the info I'm after.

Does anyone know if any of the properties on Worrall road were owned by the hospital at any point, other than 'Porters Lodge' and 'Hilltop Hostel'?

We moved into our cottage about 14 months ago and many people have told us that it was once owned by the hospital, but suggesting that it may have been more of a staff residence.

I am struggling to find anything online, despite lots of trawling and would appreciate any input available.

Thanks.

I apologise in advance as I realise there are many threads on here already, but I have read through many of them (and googled lots) but don't seem to be able to find the info I'm after.

Does anyone know if any of the properties on Worrall road were owned by the hospital at any point, other than 'Porters Lodge' and 'Hilltop Hostel'?

We moved into our cottage about 14 months ago and many people have told us that it was once owned by the hospital, but suggesting that it may have been more of a staff residence.

I am struggling to find anything online, despite lots of trawling and would appreciate any input available.

Thanks.

Have you looked on here:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

I recall in the 1940's and 50's we were led to believe that the row of houses adjacent to the plot of land attached to Wadsley Grove were "hospital houses",

certainly hospital staff lived there, and the houses were painted the same colour as other hospital property.

Further up Worrall Road, the row of terraced cottages just past the Sough Dyke,

were certainly "Asylum cottages"........one of them always had a display of Sylvac rabbits displayed in a window (a favourite for children walking to Worrall!)

I do not know when these properties were sold into private ownership.

I'll have a look through my local books to see if there any facts relating to the ownership of the other houses in this part of the village.

Archived