"Live psychic" advert on the forum.

no (or do I mean yes) - I see no difference between a self proclaimed man of religion telling me that what is written in a book is the word of God, (or his son) and is therefore true, and a self proclaimed psychic/medium telling me that what he/she is saying is the word of someone I once knew

Okay the difference is this;

Bible - a bunch of stories about a bunch of characters (including God) written by a bunch of men a long time ago.

Message from the dead - a message given by a medium, claiming it to be from somebody who is dead.

If a man of religion tells me that my grandmother has gone to a better world because that is what God/Jesus/The Bible says - how is that more true than a psychic/medium telling me that my Grandmother says she is happy now but I should get my haircut?

Neither can be proved and, to me, both are equally (im)plausible

I agree.

But a vicar telling you that a relative has gone to heaven is likely to be less dangerous than a medium who may be telling you to trust a stranger, or "bet on red" or something similar.

Archived