Human rights and murder convictions

Life in the case may no longer mean life.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i8DfcUcZp4hV1EMOh_fXx-vA2-TA?docId=N1025931326769614860A

Killer Jeremy Bamber and two other convicted murderers will find out whether keeping them behind bars for the rest of their lives is a breach of their human rights.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) will hand down its judgment on the trio's claim that whole-life tariffs condemning them to die in jail amount to "inhuman or degrading treatment" and that their sentences should be open to regular review.

If the Strasbourg-based court rules in favour of the killers, it means they have a chance of being released along with the 38 other inmates serving whole life orders in prisons in England and Wales

Regular review still won't get them out. There are cases where it's patently obvious that someone will never be safe to be let out in society.

If Bamber's whole-life tariff is reviewed three years from now, it will remain the same...

I hope your right.

Although having the euro courts do the judging makes me a little nervous.

When it comes to human rights for murders a life sentence is about as humane society is willing to be.

The life sentence is only in law because we think of human rights above retribution, if they are not happy then they should think back to when our laws where married to religious views IE: an eye for an eye, when we had capitol punishment.

It was only public out cry when we got it wrong and it was too late that has kept murders in jail for life, it is only because the innocent should be given chance to appeal and get justice because the justice system is not infallible. If we could be 100% sure of guilt it could be argued that we give the murders the same regard for life that they have shown and use capitol punishment.

Archived