Human rights and murder convictions

I've been saying for years that for some murderers, bringing back Capital Punishment would be a VERY good idea IMO.

It'll never happen though, which may be a good or bad thing.

I've been saying for years that for some murderers, bringing back Capital Punishment would be a VERY good idea IMO.

It'll never happen though, which may be a good or bad thing.

So in your first sentence it's a good thing but in your second you're not so sure.

True, but they will also reveal things they do know.
But there's no way to know what parts are the truth and what parts are not, hence it is next to worthless.

- A policeman shooting an armed lunatic who's shooting innocent members of the public. Happened many times.

- Iranian embassy terrorists being killed to free hostages.

- Military assets and people in Bosnia being bombed by NATO to prevent ethnic cleansing.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was referring specifically to the use of torture, which I thought was pretty clear given what the thread is about, and what the post of headingnorth's you quoted was about.

What's horrifying is that we had to rely on a European court for that ruling. Our own British courts should be quick to dismiss all charges, against anybody, where evidence has been gathered against them by means of torture. Why didn't that happen?

Because there is no evidence that any torture took place. The entirity of the numerous terrorists appeals against deportation to arab countries that have signed memorandums of understanding with the UK has not as far as I'm aware involved one single case where evidence of torture pertinent to that case was even suggested, let alone proved.

The entire basis was "johny arab likes a bit of torture in his penal system" so regardless of the evidence against this individual there is a vague possibility that someone connected with it may have had his nuts in a vice at some point so you can't deport.

Torture has gone on in many arab countries, however a carte blanche ban on deporting islamic terrorists to the admittedly foul places they hail from like Algeria, Tunisia, Jordan, L**ds without any evidence of pertinant torture and regardless of the evidence against them is complete madness.

Especially in the case of a well known terrorist leader like abu qatada who is guilty as sin.

A good thing for some murderers; but maybe not a good thing overall, given how many wrongful convictions we find out about years after the event?

You're still saying that it might be good to execute a few innocent people. That's why capital punishment won't be brought back.

You're still saying that it might be good to execute a few innocent people.

No, I'm not. That's exactly why it is a bad idea; you can't be sure that it will only be applied to people who deserve it.

(That's assuming, of course, that you are willing to assert that anybody ever deserves it.)

Archived