Gay parents and Mothers Day.

This School's so called reasoning sounds pathetic and from your OP is a total whitewash. As far as the kid is concerned, he has 2 mums, why should he feel that he has to choose one over the other to give the card to? It's a horrible position to place a child in. I know a few families with 2 mums and as far as I'm aware, they've not received this type of discriminatory treatment from staff, although they have from other pupils.

Did the parent speak to the 'teacher' concerned, or is she just getting something from the senior staff/head that seems a bit dismissive?

Is it possible that a simple misunderstanding is being blown out of proportion?

What about a child who lives at home with his separated/divorced mother and visits their father and his new partner.

Does that count as two mummies?

Can the child have several 'mummies' under this type of scenario?

Now, going back to the specific instance where the child has gay 'parents', was the teacher who said 'just make one' aware of the exact family set up?

I'm willing to put money on a teacher that was actually aware of exactly what the situation was, would have dealt with it more sympathetically.

Now a complaint is being made and superiors get defensive, that is not good. But I do wonder what actually happened.

If a mistake was genuinely made, can't apologies and promises of awareness retraining be a better way forward?

The kid does only have 1 Mum. Whats the fuss?

How do you work that one out? What if the couple in question adopted the kids, which one is then the only one mum? If one had IVF, would the same rule therefore apply to heterosexual couples where the woman had donor sperm, the donor then being the kid's only dad and not the one bringing him/her up?

I dont think one person can have kids. It takes two, so the song goes.

That is not what I asked. I asked whether or not a parent is defined solely in terms of whether they are biologically related to their offspring? If you believe that then adoptive and step parents are by your definition, not a parent if they are not related to their child/ren.

Archived