Whats to be scared of, "Coming out" nowadays ?

If young people are growing up in this kind of intimidating atmosphere, then it is wonder that they're frightened to come out and some even feel compelled to embark on relationships with the opposite sex.:(

I dont think a big enough deal is made of it in school. The damage these names do to kids is huge!

If kids were taught from say 10 or 11 about homosexuality and different orientations then these insults would lose all power and meaning.

The result could be that people may find it easier to come out and i know of at least 2 lads whos lives would be a whole lot easier.

I dont think a big enough deal is made of it in school. The damage these names do to kids is huge!

If kids were taught from say 10 or 11 about homosexuality and different orientations then these insults would lose all power and meaning.

The result could be that people may find it easier to come out and i know of at least 2 lads whos lives would be a whole lot easier.

Wise words well said Mr Moran xxx

I agree. My son told me about his friend who was being bullied as far back as Y4, he was really upset about it and had defended his friend against this onslaught of homophobic abuse that he was being subjected to. I reported it in the end and it was dealt with. It should be stamped out immediately and there should be a zero tolerance policy across all schools.

I agree. My son told me about his friend who was being bullied as far back as Y4, he was really upset about it and had defended his friend against this onslaught of homophobic abuse that he was being subjected to. I reported it in the end and it was dealt with. It should be stamped out immediately and there should be a zero tolerance policy across all schools.

100% agree!!

Well just because there is the legal right to do something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be accepted by those that matter (or indeed by those that don't).

There is still a lot of prejudice and bigotry out there, and there have been numerous homophically motivated murders that are evidence of that. But there is also the low level every day pettiness as well that discourages people from revealing who they really are.

I agree-legally I may watch back episodes of the X-factor in a frogmans outfit eating pilchards steeped in cold custard sipping birch sap,but I am not sure I would wish to draw attention to my pecadilloes.

Its really really wrong though that Gay people should hide their sexual preferences and not be proud of who they are because of a tiny minority of gay bashers that get the headlines. Lots of outed gay people are respected like helen degeneres and chatty man carr but when it comes down to joe bloggs it seems that there is a divide of attention by the general media.

As a long-term user of this forum, I see the abuse many gay men get by openly coming out.

I see it in the street.

At work.

Everywhere I look.

It might be OK in the glamorous world of television, but some don't want to subject themselves to the abuse which still exists in the world and merely wish to cruise along without the stigma of being prejudged for something which, ultimately, does not concern anyone but the person and their sexual partners.

Archived