Whats to be scared of, "Coming out" nowadays ?

A most generous offer but I'm allergic to diplays of campness and likely to vomit if I see anything stronger than a Kenneth Williams sketch.
case in point

I agree, 'gay' seems to be the insult du jour at both of my kids' schools. A few of the kids with gay parents have also been subjected to horrible homophobic bullying, it sickens me. Schools don't seem to be as quick to nip it in the bud as they do with racism.

I'm not sure how old your children are, but in the last few years "gay" as meaning "not good", "not 'in'", and applied to many things other than children, has arisen without the children (primary) being aware of the meaning of the word with regard to the homosexual community.

Yes, they usually become aware of the adult usage as they get older, including through classes and peers, but it caught me by surprise when I first learnt of this 'non-sexual' use.

I'm not sure how old your children are, but in the last few years "gay" as meaning "not good", "not 'in'", and applied to many things other than children, has arisen without the children (primary) being aware of the meaning of the word with regard to the homosexual community.

Yes, they usually become aware of the adult usage as they get older, including through classes and peers, but it caught me by surprise when I first learnt of this 'non-sexual' use.

It was used as a term regarding sexuality. The mot du jour for not good, not in etc seems to be 'tight'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrod

A most generous offer but I'm allergic to diplays of campness and likely to vomit if I see anything stronger than a Kenneth Williams sketch.

case in point

Well spotted Esme. It saddens me that people like Conrod and their pathetic opinions about sexuality are taken seriously by anyone.

I think homophobia should be treated as seriously as racism. It can do a great deal of damage to the person.

I don't think that's true, they know what it means for the most part, and that is exactly why they use it.

Ok I'm gay, so what ? but there are friends of mine (some on here) that are still scared of 'Coming out' ? I dont understand why in todays world where same sex marriages or legal partnerships are allowed. Why is it that there are still those that are not proud of who and what they are ?? Is it because they are afraid of the stigma of being called a 'Puff ?' or just plain fear ? :huh:

I really don't get this 'coming out' - you seem to be discriminating against yourselves as heterosexuals don't come out - what does it matter, who cares - tell them to mind there own business, I don't agree also with people being pressured to come out

Ok I'm gay, so what ? but there are friends of mine (some on here) that are still scared of 'Coming out' ? I dont understand why in todays world where same sex marriages or legal partnerships are allowed. Why is it that there are still those that are not proud of who and what they are ?? Is it because they are afraid of the stigma of being called a 'Puff ?' or just plain fear ? :huh:

Bald and now gay Phil! are you Jimmy Sommerville!:hihi:

Archived