It just gets worse for Miliband as GMB considers withdrawing support.

In hindsight I'd agree. In 1997 many people hoped for something different. Didn't really happen.

Where do we go now HN? Neoliberalism is discredited. So is the tradional left. We need something new I reckon.

Aye i concur. The last 30 years have been a mitigating disaster and id love to see either a new generation of independents or a new party come out of this mess. In effect....an opposition to what we have now.

Where do we go now HN? Neoliberalism is discredited. So is the tradional left. We need something new I reckon.

we need a new left :)

i'm not sure if the traditional left is discredited, labour in the late 70s/80s went far more left than the traditional left.

the old sdp when it split away aimed at the centre left which would have picked up much of the political spectrum covered by the traditional left.

we need a new left :)

i'm not sure if the traditional left is discredited, labour in the late 70s/80s went far more left than the traditional left.

the old sdp when it split away aimed at the centre left which would have picked up much of the political spectrum covered by the traditional left.

It probably makes no difference either way. If the unions have the left that they want no one will vote for them anyhow.

Britain's third largest trade union has raised the spectre of disafilliation from the Labour party as the backlash against Ed Miliband grows

I wonder if there'll be a similar backlash against the Tories now that David Cameron is questioning the free market, the need for regulation, exploring moral capitalism and corporate social responsibility.

"No true Conservative has a naive belief that all politics has to do is step back and let capitalism rip."

"Corporate social responsibility and environmental responsibility have been constant themes in the arguments I’ve made and the policies we’ve developed."

"the bonus culture - particularly in the City - has got out of control."

That's what the leader of the Conservative party said. Will he do anything about it? Let's wait and see ...

I think that what both Ed Miliband and David Cameron recognise is that the majority of the people no longer have faith in political parties and their need to do favours for the vested interests that support them.

The problem is that when you appeal to the real concerns of the public, it hacks off the vested interests who are looking for special favours from "their man".

Things ain't as bad as some would claim, tonights opinion poll shows Labour ahead (as usual) of Smarmy Dave's Cons. Hopefully, Gove's gaff will have shown what the Cons really represent and will have negative effect on the Cons for a considerable time.:)

YouGov/Sun – CON 39%, LAB 40%, LDEM 8%

17 Jan 2012

Tonight’s YouGov poll for the Sun has topline figures of CON 39%, LAB 40%, LDEM 8%. This follows figures of Con 40%, Lab 40%, Ld 9% yesterday, suggesting that the underlying picture in YouGov’s daily polling continues to be Labour and the Conservatives neck-and-neck with one another.

It clearly didn't .

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jzprEPcGEQRjVr1YcwDuPRmFMRZA?docId=N0053651327174329888A

he Conservatives have opened up a five-point lead over Labour, according to a new opinion poll.

The YouGov survey for The Sunday Times puts the Tories on 41% compared with 36% for Labour - the biggest Conservative lead since autumn 2010. The Liberal Democrats trail on 9%.

Meanwhile a ComRes poll for The Independent on Sunday and Sunday Mirror puts the two main parties level-pegging on 38%, with the Tories up two points from last month and Labour down two. The Liberal Democrats are down one point on 11%.

However the poll suggests Labour would do better if Ed Miliband was replaced as leader by his brother David - which would see them gain a three-point advantage - 38% to 35% - over the Conservatives, while the Lib Dems drop to 9%.

YouGov interviewed 1,711 adults across Britain online on January 19 and 20. ComRes interviewed 2,050 British adults online on January 18 and 19.

The highlight says it all realy.

Archived