Texas - criminalising schoolchildren..

Many juvenile detention centers in the US are privately-owned.

When everyone is a competitor, and everything--including the means and willingness to imprison others--is a commodity, this is but one consequence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/07/juvenille-judges-cash-detention-centre

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/watch-juvenile-judge-appeal-stiff-sentence/story?id=14318848#.TxYQHqXKCGk

In an ongoing corruption scandal that implicated more than 30 state and local government officials and contractors, Ciavarella, in a "kids for cash" scheme, was accused of sentencing juveniles to Pennsylvania Child Care and Western Pennsylvania Child Care detention centers in exchange for cash payments.

Ciavarella was convicted of accepting a payment of nearly $1 million from the juvenile detention centers' builder. After the scandal, which broke in 2007, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court vacated the sentences and wiped clean the records of all minors (about 4,000) who appeared before Ciavarella during his tenure as a Juvenile Court judge.

It's flipping Shawshank.

You were specifically claiming that 'hundreds of thousands' of Mexican illegals are flooding the Texan school system.

Have you any evidence of that?

Edited to add - and even if you did (and I suspect you don't) how would it be relevant? As ferno has pointed out there is no reference to Mexicans in the article.

By hundreds of thousands I meant the federal school system not just Texas. But the main point is a mass influx of third world immigrants bread in a violent culture needs a robust policing approach, otherwise the first world will be dragged down to a third world level. Texas has experienced this on a level that we cannot immagaine in Sheffield so I'm loath to judge them harshly when we don't have the levels of crime they are experiencing due to 3rd world violence on their streets.

By hundreds of thousands I meant the federal school system not just Texas. But the main point is a mass influx of third world immigrants bread in a violent culture needs a robust policing approach, otherwise the first world will be dragged down to a third world level. Texas has experienced this on a level that we cannot immagaine in Sheffield so I'm loath to judge them harshly when we don't have the levels of crime they are experiencing due to 3rd world violence on their streets.

Have you actually read the article? The issue is NOTHING TO DO WITH IMMIGRATION, but I think you win the prize for best barking-up-the-wrong-tree posts.

Have you actually read the article? The issue is NOTHING TO DO WITH IMMIGRATION, but I think you win the prize for best barking-up-the-wrong-tree posts.

That would be why all the grauniads smypahetic "isn't Texas evil" article cited names like Bustamentes and Gonzalez, but in a racist slur cruely left out Smith, Jones and O'Reilly from the poor attacked kids. Well done, nothing to do with Mexicans then, just Texan coppers are evil.

That would be why all the grauniads smypahetic "isn't Texas evil" article cited names like Bustamentes and Gonzalez, but in a racist slur cruely left out Smith, Jones and O'Reilly from the poor attacked kids. Well done, nothing to do with Mexicans then, just Texan coppers are evil.

Latino surnames means they are gun-toting Mexican crime spree-ers? You're not very intelligent, are you?

Isn't it just - that 12 year old girl who was being bullied with taunts about smelling bad and ended up with a criminal record for using perfume in class was quite shocking - as was the 16 year old tasered in a row that blew up when he wasn't wearing his ID tag.

Bloody hell. Extremism texas style y'all.

Last year in Texas, 300,000 children in Texan in and out of schools were charged with misdemeanours which have landed them before a court, resulting in fines, community service and in some cases even prison.

The most common reason for the police dishing out misedemeanour tickets is 'disruption of class' - a definition, bizarrely which can include shouting within 150 metres of school property - 'making an unreasonable noise'.

One child was arrested for making paper aeroplanes.

As well as leaving children with a criminal record, those unable to pay the fines (up to $500) can be jailed once they turn 17 and will be ineligible for federal aid money when they apply to colleges or universities.

Many more horrendous examples in the link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/09/texas-police-schools?INTCMP=SRCH

Those who mither on about the alleged lack of discipline in schools might to well to consider what happens in Texas and see what can go wrong when society becomes too heavy handed in such matters.

America.

The land of the free.

Archived